Chapter 9

I jolted awake at the slam of my door into the frame of my bed, my mum storming the room and flipping the switch of the main light. Sitting up sharply, I pulled the covers around me defensively, grinding my teeth as I forced back the urge to summon my orb.

Letting out a deep breath I shouted. "What's your problem?"

She didn't answer, just stood there, fuming like a bull about to charge. Blue eyes sharp and glaring. Through half closed eyes, I stared back at her, the front of my head feeling like it was about to burst. She was wearing her blue dressing gown, and her long brown hair was messy about her shoulders. It had to be early, she hadn't showered yet.

"Where were you last night?" she said.

Busted.

I snorted. "Why should I tell you? It's none of your business."

"You're living under my roof, with no job and nothing to do. That makes it my business."

I opened my mouth to talk but she raised her voice over me.

"I won't let you live here scot-free while everyone else has to work."

I massaged the ridge between my eyes with my thumb and finger, attempting to get rid of the stabbing headache. "I get it, I'm already looking for a job, so stop nagging."

Her eyes widened. "Nagging?" she yelled. "Let me rephrase it then. Get a job or get the hell out. You've got until Christmas."

"Don't be ridiculous. You're giving me two weeks to find a job?"

She pointed at me. "Maverick, don't try me."

"Fine," I grumbled. "Could you turn the light off, I've hardly slept."

"I don't care. Get up."

"Why? I think I've found one already. I'm just waiting to hear back from them."

"Really?" she drawled, clearly not believing me. "What's the job?"

"Warehouse security," I said quickly.

She crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. "Which warehouse?"

"One of the warehouses on Roughwood Road," I shrugged. "Does it matter?"

"Yes, it matters! You can't even make it sound believable."

"Just go away," I growled.

"Not until you get up."

"Did you ever consider that maybe I don't want a job like yours?"

Fury flashed in her eyes. Even after meeting Dusk's gaze the night before, I couldn't help but gulp at the knot in my throat. I had gone too far, said something I shouldn't have. Ever since Dan had moved in, things always ended up like this. Fight after fight. Maybe moving out wasn't a bad idea.

"What do you mean by that?"

"You know what I mean," I mumbled, not meeting her eyes. "A boring, idle shop job. Being just another guy that goes to work every day, never doing anything with my life. I don't want to live like that."

"I do what I have to for us to get by, like everyone else."

"And I appreciate that, but it doesn't mean I want to do the same."

There was a long pause as she looked at me. She had large bags under her eyes, her face was pale and downcast. I looked away. "Things wouldn't be like this if dad was still here."

"Well he's not," she snapped. "Get out, get a job."

I sighed. "I'm already on it, just let me sleep a bit more."