Chapter 20

Snapshot rushed over at my side, handing me a clean cloth from the first aid kit. "Keep pressure on the wound."

I slipped the cloth under my hands, not lifting them from the wound. "I am," I said through gritted teeth.

We were on the floor in the back of the van. We used the fleeces from our disguises to make a pillow for Lightshow, but considering the three lacerations across her stomach, I doubted comfort was a big concern for her. It was too early to tell how much damage Shifter's claws had done to Lightshow, but judging from the blood, it wasn't good.

I could feel her blood pulsing beneath my hands. Blood oozed out from underneath the cloth; the white fabric stained red, as were my hands.

Lightshow hissed in pain, gripping at my wrist with enough force to break a normal person's bone. Binder stepped in unravelling her hand from my arm and holding it back, keeping her from getting close to the wounds. She shook violently, entire body tensing. Behind me Snapshot rummaged through one of the bags packed under his seat.

I noticed Lightshow's eyes widen and turned to see what she was looking at. Jumping as Snapshot approached with a large, serrated knife, with a curled tip.

"That's not medical," I stammered.

He flicked the tip with his finger, making the metal ring. "No, it's not, but it is sharp."

Lightshow tried to sit up, rising only a few degrees before groaning and falling back. "What an earth are you doing with that?"

"I'm healing you! What does it look like?"

The van jolted, and he almost dropped the knife.

"Don't come near me with that." Her eyes flickered to me. "Don't let him near me."

"Relax, I'm just cutting the bottom of your top off. Or do you want it stuck in the wound."

"Just back off Snapshot," I snapped. "What is wrong with you?"

Snapshot grunted but put the knife back where he found it. "I'm only trying to help."

"Well don't. Mia, how long until we can get her some real treatment?"

"Too long," Mia said. "We need to get to the exchange point otherwise it's just a matter of time before we are caught."

"It's bleeding a lot," I said. "Are you sure we can wait? Isn't this an emergency?"

Mia turned right at the next corner. The distant sound of sirens putting me back on alert. I looked down at the bloody bandages, we didn't have time for another fight.

"The wounds aren't deep enough to be dangerous," Mia said. "I'm sorry but we don't have time to stop. Last thing we need is another encounter with the HA. Just keep pressure on and the bleeding will stop on its own. She's a Titan after all."

"Damn it," I said, glancing at Lightshow. We had removed her mask. Blood spotted her face, and I could see her jaw clenched against the pain. She had her eyes closed. "How long will we be?"

"We're ten minutes away from the exchange point."

"I'm okay," Lightshow stammered, wincing as she lifted her head to look at me. "This is nothing."

I nodded. "Right." My eyes fell on her stomach. I could feel her blood starting to dry on my hands. It caked them, feeling almost like cotton wool or charcoal. It made me shiver. I hated that tingling sensation.

"It is incredibly painful though!"

I smiled at her. "You're doing great."

"We're almost there," Mia said. "Just bear with it."