13

Mike got to school in a hurry, being the first to show up, thoughts of Will and a focus on talking to Dustin filling his head.  He needed to know what was going on; and if he could manage it, he wanted to make a claim on Will. Will was his. Mike was almost surprised at his protectiveness- technically Mike was with Eleven and Will was.... well, single. Up for the taking. But Mike wanted him. Will was the first to arrive at school, bringing a soft smile to Mike's face, like the ones he would aim at Eleven, or the ones he would use when comforting Will. The sight of Will had been bringing a soft and content feeling to Mike as of late. 

    "Hey, Will." Mike smile was in his tone of voice when Will approached, and Mike gently reached out and flitted his hand across the other's boys shoulder in greeting. 

     Will smiled back, a light conversation unfolding between the two. That was until Dustin came around, bumping his shoulder against Will's. A sinking feeling sank into Mike's stomach when the two began to interact. "Hey Dustin," Mike piped up. "Are you busy after school?" 

     Dustin looked back at him with a thoughtful expression. "No, I don't think so. Why?" 

     "You think you can come over to mine after school? Just for a couple minutes." Dustin shrugged and then nodded, with a slightly confused face. Mike noticed that Will's shoulders slumped a little, and Mike instantly shifted a little closer, pulling the other boy into conversation. 

     Throughout the day, Mike couldn't focus in his classes. While his teachers rattled on about geometry formulas or the War of 1812, his mind was all on Will and the conversation that would be held with Dustin. At lunch, Mike made sure to sit between Dustin and Will, edging closer to Will. He found himself reaching for Will's hand naturally, Will curling his fingers around Mike's before he had even grazed it. Finally, finally the last class of the day arrived. He actually had it with Will, and instead of paying attention, Mike spent the period poking and teasing Will, the pair whispering and gesturing to one another throughout. However, the bell rang much too soon, and the boys rushed to their lockers to gather their belongings. 

    The Party met outside by their parked bikes, Max getting her skateboard out. The group hopped on, chattering about classes or what they wanted to do this weekend. Dustin and Mike shared a glance. The ride home was a mostly peaceful one, the group branching off in their respected directions when the time came. Dustin and Mike stayed together, riding off to the Wheeler's home.

---------------------

    Once inside with Dustin, Mike's stomach dropped. This could go wrong. Mike would just have to be smart about it. He greeted his mother, who was not surprised and made little comment on  Dustin's appearance. The pair headed down into the basement, shutting the door tightly. They sat down together on the sofa, Mike taking a moment before opening. 

    "So, I asked you to come over today because I kind of want to talk to you about something..." Mike started off kind of awkwardly, procrastinating. 

    "Yeah, so... what is it?" Dustin asked curiously. 

     "I wanted to talk to you about Will." Mike bluntly put it out there. 

    "Oh?" Dustin asked, confused but intrigued. 

     "I wanted to know... what's with you two lately? You guys have just been... closer, recently."