25

Without anyone noticing his quiet footsteps, Will had snuck upstairs to the Wheeler’s residence and towards Mike’s room. During their weekly dungeons and dragons campaign, they would spend hours on end in Mike’s basement playing the game. However, their non-stop and chaotic role-playing was harshly put on hold by Will saying he needed to call his mom for ‘uhh…something’. Surprisingly, his friends didn’t protest by telling him to do that later or even question what he needed to call his mom for.

He carried his backpack with him, taking in a deep breath. He opened his backpack and took out his sketchbook. He carefully flipped through the pages until he took out a page that was already removed from the edge of the book.

It was a picture of his best friend Mike Wheeler.

A rather elaborately sketched one of him, detailing every bit of his features. Features that Will found utterly gorgeous.

He turned to back of it, once again rereading the excerpt he wrote. He made sure there weren’t any mistakes like grammatical errors or any inconsistencies with the sentence flow. He paused, staring straight at the door.

No, he was going to do this; he couldn’t doubt himself in any way. He had developed the hugest crush on his best friend and it was killing him from the inside out. Their long-lasting hangouts minus Dustin and Lucas only amplified the feelings he felt towards Mike. He had to admit his feelings sooner or later; this was the most assured he’s felt in ages. If he didn’t do it now, he thought he wouldn’t be able to do it ever. Will crouched down and quickly slid the paper under the door of Mike’s locked bedroom.

He’d be sure Mike would find it tomorrow morning. 

----------

It was 8:00 A.M and Will instantly regretted what he did last night.

“Come on, come on, come on…pick up!” Will cried, holding the phone up to his ears. He was back home, his mother getting ready for work while his brother Jonathan was still fast asleep in his room.

“Everything alright, Will?”

He heard his mother’s voice from the kitchen.

Will covered the bottom part of the phone with his hand.

“Yes! I’m fine!” His voice coming out more panicked than expected. He brought the phone back to his ears, the incessant dialing tone on the other end making him antsier as it persisted. He was calling the Wheeler’s residence, hoping at least any of them – except for Mike - would answer the damn phone.

“Hello?” A monotone voice on the other line finally answered, sleepiness still harboring it.

Will recognized it as Mike’s father, Ted.

“Uhh…t-this is Mike’s friend, Will,” He started, his hand shaking as he clutched the phone, “I’m so sorry for calling this early, but is Mike awake…? I..I have something really important to tell him.”

“Karen, is Mike awake yet?” Will could hear Ted say in a louder voice.

“He’s not!” Another voice answered. Mike’s mother.

Will breathed out, a wave of relief washing through him. That meant he hadn’t gone to his room yet as he had slept in the basement as he always did when they did their nine hour long campaigns.