7 (IV)

Mother always told me she loved me. I never said it back, but I knew I should've. She meant the world to me. She was the only person I had in my life. Now it's too late.

   "Mom, are you sure you don't want me to take you?" I asked.

   "Yes. I'm fine. I've been driving for a long time. I think I can make it a couple miles."

   "Okay." She walked towards the door, bags in her hands. "Stay safe."

   "I will." She stepped outside. "And remember...I love you."

   "Yeah, okay. Bye." I closed the door and sighed. This was going to be a fun day. Or so I thought.

   I sat down on the couch and scrolled through Netflix to try and find something to watch. I found a movie and started watching it.

   Halfway through, my phone started to ring. "May I speak to Nicholas Banks?"

   "This is him. May I ask who I'm speaking to?" I asked.

   "This is St. Annie's hospital calling about your mother. She got into a terrible car accident. The ambulance rushed to the site and brought her here."

"Oh, my god. Yeah, I-I'll come as soon as possible." I got up and ran to put my shoes on. I ran straight out of the house and into my car. I drove to St. Annie's Hospital and parked in front. I ran into the building and straight to the front desk.

   "Hi,  how may I—."

   "I got a call saying that my mom was in a car accident and I came over as soon as I could."

   "Oh. Yeah, she's on the second floor, room 216." I ran up the stairs instead of using the elevator and turned left. I ran into room 216 and looked inside.

   "Mom!" I ran over to her bed. "What happened? Are you okay?"

   "Yeah. I'm—," she coughed, "—I'm fine." She smiled at me and put her hand on my face. "I—I love you."

   I cried, not saying it back. "What were you doing? Why did this happen?"

   "Just remember...I love you." A loud beeping noise echoed throughout the room.

   "What's happening? Mom! Mom! Wake up! No, no, no, no, no!" I put my hands to my face. I started to cry more.

   A bunch of doctors rushed into the room. One of them told me that I needed to leave, and they slowly gestured me out. I left the room, but I started banging on the door, asking the doctors what happened.

   Black suits, black dresses, black hats, black ties.

   I stand in the rain, can you hear my cries?

   The doctors said you'd be fine,

   They said I wouldn't need to pay a dime.

   I guess now I won't have you,

   But oh god I'll never forget you.

   The days pass by,

   I can't believe I let you die.

   You told me lots of things about you,

   I loved that,

   But one thing I forgot to do,

   Was say 'I love you."