Drink with me

It began to rain as the remaining Amis sat atop the barricade, talking quietly or attempting to sleep. The only one sheltered from the rain was the dark-haired, gentle doctor of the group.

Joly was sitting in L'ABC Café, looking into the ghostly face of his best friend. He did not try to stop the flow of tears falling from his eyes as he cried "Why did you do it, Feuilly?" even though he knew the boy could not hear him. He would never hear him again. And Joly didn't know if he could stand that.

He wiped the remaining tears from under his eyes and pulled a sheet up over his best friend's head.

"Goodbye Feuilly," he said quietly, before turning to the other wounded and deceased in the Café.

He bandaged a few injuries, covered a few bodies, and then headed outside to where the other Amis were. He watched Grantaire take a swig from his ever-present bottle of wine, and rolled his eyes. Being a medical student, he knew that all of the alcohol Grantaire consumed would do him no good, but he also knew there was nothing he could do to stop him.

At that moment, Grantaire started singing. "Drink with me, to days gone by. To the life, that used to be." The Amis began to join in, Joly included.

"At shrine of friendship never say die, let the wine of friendship never run dry. Here's to you, and here's to me..."

Joly walked around the side of the Café, and saw Marius sitting by himself, reading a letter. He walked over to the brunette, and saw that he was crying.

"Marius." The brunette looked up as Joly approached.

"Oh, Joly," Marius sighed, putting his head in his hands. Joly sat down and put his arm around the young man.

"What's up?"

"I have given up. I no longer care if I live or die. The love of my life is going across the sea, and I shall never see her again. My life means nothing if she's not there. I am leaving no one behind, I have nothing to lose. I give up."

"Marius, that is NO way to talk." Joly made the brunette look straight at him before continuing. "You mustn't give up. You have plenty to live for. I understand that this girl you have met means a lot to you, but you have to move on. There are many young women out there who might be right for a dashing lad like you," Joly paused, thinking of Éponine, "you just have to know where to look. And you have us. We need you Marius. We all want to fight. For the gamins. For France," he paused again, "for Éponine."

Marius looked up. "'Ponine?"

"Yes, Marius, for 'Ponine," Joly sighed. "In case you hadn't noticed, she needs you. You're her best friend. And she epitomises the very cause we are fighting for. You mustn't give up, Marius. For her. And for Feuilly. He gave his life for you. He wanted you to continue the fight. And you must do it."

Joly patted his friend's shoulder and walked slowly back towards the Café, hoping to get out of the rain. Out of the corner of his eye, he suddenly spotted the old man who had killed Inspector Javert kneel down inside the Café. Joly waited by the door, not wanting to disturb him.

"God on high, hear my prayer. In my need, you have always been there. He is young, and he's afraid, let him rest. Bring him home. He's like the son I might have known, if you had granted me a son. Bring him peace, he is young. He is only a boy. You can take, you can give. Let him be, please, let him live. If I die, let me die. Let him live, please bring him home."

Joly watched the man walk over towards Marius, who was now fast asleep. The old man placed a gentle hand on the boy's head and looked up, saying, "please, Lord, let him live, let him see my dear Cosette once again. Let them know even if I die that I give them my blessing, and welcome him into the family with open arms. Please keep him safe."

Joly smiled. This man must be the father of Marius' lover. He obviously cared greatly for his daughter's happiness, if he said that he would die rather than Marius. He seemed to put a great deal of trust into God, knowing that he would do what was right, and protect those who deserved to live. Joly admired him for that.

He hoped that by the end of this, the people would rise, the revolution would succeed, and all those who deserved to live would still be there to welcome the new, greater world about to dawn.