Runaway

I couldn't stay here all my life. I wanted to visit lots of places and be with Paul but my parents hate him. Everytime I wanted to go out they asked me whom I'm gonna be with. And I had to lie several times.

'Please tell me your parents know you're here.' Paul rolled his eyes.

'Well, if we put it -'

'So they don't.' He interrupted me.

'They never do, bro.' I sat on the ground.

'You can't keep on sneaking out. They'll kill me, Babe.' He stood in front of me.

'Ace, why you gotta be such a party killer every damn time?' I looked up at him, arms crossed.

'Cause you're young.' He sighed.

'Sixteen is not that far away now.' I argued.

'It is. Besides -' he took a deep breath. 'I'm in the middle of moving out.' He put his hands into his pockets.

'YOU'RE LEAVING ME?' I stood up screaming. 'WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH WOULD YOU LEAVE ME?' And that's when I could feel the tears in my eyes build up.

'Anastasia, calm down! ' He put his hands on my shoulders. 'I went on an audition. I got the part and I'm gonna be in a band. And I wanna take you with me. But we need time and your parents to say yes.' He told me his plan.

'They won't let me.' The tears started rolling down my cheeks.

'Shh. We'll find a way, Babe.' He pulled me into his arms abd hugged me tightly.

After that the hours turned into days and the days into weeks without Ace. I was locked up in my room. The only times I left it was to get food, take a shower and go to school. But soon I stopped going which my parents didn't approve of but I didn't care. I was feeling miserable alone. I lost all my friends when Paul left to fulfill his dreams. So practically I had noone. But for me Paul was enough.

One day I got a letter from him saying he's doing gigs with the band he's in and he also wrote down his address. You know by now that it was the moment when the light bulb above my head lit up.

I waited for my parents to finally fall asleep then I packed all my stuff that I could fit into my bag and wrote a letter for my parents. I told them I don't want to spend the rest of my life here doing nothing. I also told them I don't want Paul to live his dream without me because he said he wanted me in it. I broke my piggy bank and gathered all I had.

I knew a guy who was Paul's friend. He took me to where Paul moved to. He didn't ask questions apart from the address. It was a quiet ride and a strange one as well. Ace always tried to keep his street life away from me but sometimes he failed. At one of those times I met this guy who was real helpful that night.

When we arrived I payed him and stood in front of the door knowing nothing. I didn't know what to do. I was through the hardest part but didn't know what to do in the easiest part. At one point I finally took the courage to knock on the wooden door and it opened moments later and Paul was shocked.

'What the fuck are you doing here?' He looked at me in complete and utter shock.

'I ran away. They don't know I'm here.' I whispered.

'How the fuck did you get here?' He looked around the street.

'One of your friends -'

'Oh fuck, Anastasia!' He facepalmed himself. 'Come in, I can't leave you outside.' He took my bag and invited me into the living room. It only had two sofas and a tiny coffee table. It wasn't a big flat but was enough for one. 'Ya know, I only got one bed.' He scratched his head.

'And that means?' I looked at him with a puzzled look.

'That means that we gotta share a bed.' He sighed. 'I never planned on this.' He sat down on one of the sofas.

'I'm sorry.' I whispered.

'It's okay.' He smiled. 'I would have got you sooner or later. But you got here first.' He chuckled. 'Come here.' He held out his arms and I went as he embraced me in a hug. 'I missed you Anastasia.' He whispered into my hair.

'I missed you too, Paul.' I mumbled into his shoulder. I really missed him. He was gone for two months that felt like two years.

'I'll show you the shower and the bed.' He stood up and gave me a quick tour of the little house.

I took a shower and changed into a short and a big t-shirt. I got under the covers and Ace put his hand around me. He was half asleep when I got in bed so I thought it was his unconsciousness.

When I woke up the next day, I was alone and a note was waiting for me to be read.

"I'm at rehearsal. Be back by 12.
- Ace."

I got out of bed and wondered around the house for about an hour. I got changed and made some omelette that I ate. I didn't try to go outside the house. I was afraid someone would recognise me or worse, someone would take me home. So I didn't try to risk it at all.

Lunch time arrived but Ace didn't. I had to wait for him for another hour. And when he arrived he did with an other man.

'We're here. I want you to meet someone.' He stepped into the living room where I've been sitting. 'Babe, this is Peter. Peter, this is Babe.' He introduced us to each other.

'Hello.' I said shyly extending my right hand to him.

'Hello young lady.' He shook hands with me. 'Shouldn't you be in school?' Peter asked me.

'Nah.' Ace shrugged. 'Sorry for the lateness Babe.' Paul gave me a hug. 'I didn't intend to be late.' He explained.

'I didn't get abducted, so everything's fine.' I joked.

'Stop it. Seriously.' He looked at me concerned. 'He's the drummer in the band I just joined.' He pointed at Peter.

'You should bring her to one of our rehearsals.' He suggested.

'Not a bad idea. At least I won't have a panic attack every ten minutes.' He told him. 'You're coming with me tomorrow.' He shook me a little.

'Okay. But you'll have to introduce me to the others as well.' I grinned.

'Deal.' They both said and that made me laugh. For real in a long time. And pretty much this how my story started.