End Of An Era

Our little fall out caused us a big problem. I had a miscarriage due to stress. We never told the guys but I had to tell Bruce and Eric as they knew about my pregnancy.

The tour soon came to an end but they didn't stop there. They wanted to record a new album. So Ace was absent again. But Lizzie and I took trips to Bronx and occasionally stayed there for a few days at my parents house.

Liz also spent a lot of time at Gene's place playing with his kids. And I spent more time with Bruce and Eric than before. After that fight, our relationship wasn't the same. And my miscarriage just added to it. I didn't want to talk about it with anyone.

Let alone with the man who caused me to stress out so much to the point where I failed raising a human being inside me. Our second child would have been a boy. And I'm sure he would have been just as handsome as his father is.

But we never get the chance to raise him. And we agreed to never tell Elizabeth or anyone else. It took a tool on him too. And not in a good way.

Weeks slowly turned into months and it was suddenly summer again. Just four months before the new tour started. It was a big day for me because I said the one thing I thought I would never say.

We were in bed that night. Beth was already sleeping in her room.

'I want a divorce.' My voice was shaky.

And tears were about to escape my eyes. The air in the room froze and I could hear my own heartbeat.

I slowly looked at him and the tears started to roll down on my face. Once I said it out loud there was no going back.

He cleared his throat and sat next to me. He took my hands in his hands.

'If that's what you want.' He said and I leaned against him.

'I can't take it anymore.' I sniffed.

'I know. I won't force you to stay.' He patted my head.

'It's not that I don't love you anymore.' I wiped off my tears. 'Because I do. More than anything.' I looked up at him.

'I know Anastasia. I love you too. I know that I screwed it up.' He sighed.

'Paul, I can't be with you until you get your life together. I can't risk it. I can't sit around and wait for another 1982 to happen.' I cried continually.

'I know.' He bit his lip. 'I don't blame you.' He kissed my temple.

'How are we gonna tell Elizabeth?' My body was shaking.

'Together.' He said. 'Everything is going to be alright.' He reassured me.

'I don't want to leave you.' I looked at him again. 'But I can't.' I sniffed.

'I promise I won't leave you alone.' He kissed me.

I kissed him back then he pulled me onto his lap. He took my shirt off and threw it away. I pushed him onto the bed and leaned down to kiss him.

'Is this goodbye?' I asked silently.

'It don't have to be.' He grabbed my waist and turned us around. 'At least not for tonight.' He placed his hands right beside my head and leaned in to kiss me.

Then he kissed my jawline then my neck and slowly started going further down. He left soft kisses along the way and when he reached the hem of my shorts, he looked up at me.

I knew what was going through his head so I just nodded and he helped me get out of my shorts.

Everything was just like the first time. Except this time it was our last one. And he made it special.

I knew I would see him often because of Elizabeth but if we're getting a divorce we can't randomly hook up. It wouldn't be fair. And I can't stay with him anymore. It's too risky for Elizabeth.

She's getting bigger and sooner or later she would find it out and we can't risk that.

'I love you.' I snuggled up to Ace, my head on his chest.

'I love you too.' He kissed my head and put his arm around me.

His heartbeat slowly sent me to sleep. In the morning I was surprised to see him still in bed. I thought he would have something to do in the studio.

He looked so peaceful. I even forgot for a second why I wanted to divorce him. At that moment we looked like a perfect couple. Our thirteenth wedding anniversary was only two months away.

I know that we will celebrate it but it won't be the same knowing that we're going to split up. I really wanted to stay with him forever. To be honest, he was the only man in my life. If we don't count that short affair I had with Eric in 1981. We were both single and I wanted to stop thinking about Ace.

The others probably suspected it but we didn't say anything about it. And when I got together with Ace, Eric was the first one to know it. He was super excited and happy for me. And as you can see, we remained very good friends until he died.

'Morning.' Ace put an arm around me.

'Hi.' I said silently.

'Did you sleep well?' He asked.

'Yes, I did.' A smile crept on my face. 'We should wake Liz up.' I sat up suddenly.

'I'll do it.' He sat up and placed a kiss on my temple.

I was alone in the room. My mind was numb trying to comprehend what I did last night. I said the one thing I didn't know I would have to say.

'Can we get pancakes?' I heard my daughter's voice.

I quickly got back to reality and nodded my head which earned me a big thankful hug from Elizabeth.