prologue

CASEY SAT IN HER ROOM, laying on her bed, tired of the long day. With the noise-maker in between her lips, she made a sound. Somehow, the toot of the noise-maker was sad, no matter how ridiculous it sounded. Sad. Just like this stupid day, she thought.

It was fucking insane, how her mom had the audacity to invite Izzie and the track girls. It wasn't her place. After all that happened, the last people Casey wanted to see today were the track team, especially Izzie. She was a bitch to Casey, mistreating her on her first day. Then, they were forced to become friends, and it was easy for a bit.

That friendship was possibly the best thing for Casey, but that ended quickly, when Nate made a move on her. However, that fucking scumbag lied to Izzie, and somehow, she believed him. She wrote "slut" and "hoe" on Casey's shoes, treating her even worse than she had before. And now, the devil herself was here.

Worst of all, her mom and Evan didn't really see what was wrong. And that hurt the most. Casey was hurt; she was hurt that Izzie would ruin everything they had just for Nate, that douche of a guy. She didn't really mind if her entire track team hated her, that was kind of the case back home. But she had Sharice, and she had Izzie, but that was no longer.

Suddenly, someone knocked at the door, interrupting Casey from her thoughts.

"Leave me alone, Mom or Evan," she groaned, kicking the wall slightly.

"Hey," a gentle, unexpected voice came through, and the door opened. It was Izzie. Casey sat up immediately, unsure of what the girl wanted. "Can I come in?"

Casey agreed, "Okay."

With that Izzie stepped in, not sure what to do with herself. She had been in this room before, but even though it was just a couple of weeks ago, it felt like forever ago.

"Your brother's all jazzed up because he found this creepy little gorilla thingy," Izzie said, trying to break the ice while pacing around, hands in the pockets of her jacket.

"It's the Ickle Bickle,"

"Mhm, that's what he told me," Izzie paused, smiling wistfully, before adding, "I like you guys."

There was a long silence. Casey looked lazily over at her ex-friend, still expressionless. Izzie fidgeted a little bit, nervous. The raven-haired girl stared at the girl on the bed, wondering what she should say next. She knew what she wanted to say, but was it the right time?

After taking a deep breath, Izzie sat down on the bed, making sure to keep her distance as she began to speak again, "Dude, I'm sorry. About everything. I was a dick and I got jealous, and I was afraid of losing someone that I love."

"I would never come between you and Nate."

"Screw him. No, I was afraid of losing you,"

Casey was taken aback. "Oh."

"I just..." she trailed off. "Before you got to Clayton, I... felt so out of place, like I couldn't be myself. And with Nate, our lives are just so different."

"Like, he's a huge douche and you're not?"

Izzie nodded, chuckling, "Yes."

There was yet another silence.

"And then you and I got into that big fight and we stopped talking. And... I missed you. I, like really, really missed you. And I just want my girl back." The raven-haired girl paused, mulling over what she just said. "Sorry if that sounds stalkerish."

"It does," Casey laughed, finally talking. It felt good to laugh, especially around a friend she had missed dearly. "But I feel the same, so it's cool."