nine

EVAN WOKE UP AT 11 AM THE NEXT DAY. His head was pounding, a souvenir from the drunken night he had just had. It would have been a more welcome headache had his memory been retained, but alcohol isn't that kind. Evan stared at the ceiling, trying to ignore the throbbing pain caused by the hangover. He tried to think logically, figure out just exactly what had happened last night.

His first step was to turn on his phone. He had a couple of missed calls, but surprisingly, they weren't from the person he expected. He called the number back, waiting for an answer. Thankfully, she answered quickly.

"Evan?"

"Hi Sawyer," Evan sat up on his bed, running a hand through his hair. "Why'd you call?"

"I just wanted to make sure you got home in one piece. You had a rough night."

"Yeah..." Evan paused. " Speaking of last night, can you tell me me exactly what happened?" He stood up, going to the window overlooking his driveway. "And how did I get home? Where's my car?"

"Oh fuck," she realized that Evan had totally blacked out. "You really don't know?"

Evan's silence let her know that he, in fact, had no clue.

"It was pretty bad. You... you got in a fight with that Casey chick," Sawyer admitted, not wanting to keep him wondering for that long.

Evan tried not to emote, at least, he tried not to make it obvious over the phone. He failed, and involuntarily, he let out a long breath of air and struggled to piece together the story. He had gotten into a fight with Casey? What for? Was it a breakup fight? He couldn't remember, and it was killing him.

"Oh..."

"Yeah. I know."

"What did we fight about?"

"Something bad, I think you guys broke up."

So they did break up. Evan grunted, as if he took a knife to the chest. Taking a shaky breath, he pried for more, desperate to try to find out what went wrong.

"Anything else? Any idea where my car is?"

"I think she left with it. Sorry, my mind's fuzzy. Check your keys. If she took them, you know she has the car. You definitely didn't drive home, we shared an Uber."

Evan scrambled to find his key ring, a daunting task in his mess of a room. However, when he did, he got the answer he had already knew internally. The car key was gone, meaning that Evan had given it to Casey. She had driven away with his car. Evan sighed deeply. Why did he do that? Now he'd have to track her down, face her despite the fact that they had broken up. He figured a million things could go wrong, and he really just didn't want to have to face that truth.

"Do you have any clue where she went?"

"You didn't tell me yesterday. Beats me."

"Oh God," the blond grumbled. He then realized he should probably thank his friend who had helped him a lot. "Thanks for your help Sawyer. What would I do without you?"

"You'd probably be dead," Sawyer agreed. Evan could almost hear the smile on her face, and he laughed, despite the dire situation at hand. "Keep me posted. I'll help you if you need."

The line disconnected. Evan decided that his only option would be to call Casey, despite the tension. He had totally forgotten what they were fighting about, and he really hoped that topic of conversation wouldn't be of discussion. He may have been the ex already, but he didn't want to be the asshole ex who drank too much to remember what the breakup contained. He would be taking a gamble, a large one at that, but he saw no other way to tackle to situation.