seventeen

IT WAS THE LAST WEEK OF SUMMER, and Casey was determined to make the most of it. By this point, it had been about three weeks since Izzie broke up with Sawyer. At first, Casey figured that Izzie would want to wait a respectable time post-break up until making it official, but that didn't mean that they couldn't spend time together. Needless to say -- Casey was loving it, and she hoped Izzie was, too. As the days passed on, Casey and Izzie began to spend more and more time together, and somehow, in that short period of just three weeks, they had fallen into a routine of sorts.

On Mondays, Izzie would occasionally visit Casey in the mornings, and in the afternoon, they'd head to pre-season track practice at Clayton. Casey still had her cast on, so she just sat on the sidelines cheering Izzie on and distracting her while Coach Crowley sent her glares.

Tuesdays were Izzie's day to stay at home. Casey would sometimes go out with friends on those days, but other times she would make surprise visits with snacks and movies. Casey didn't mind that Izzie had days that weren't reserved for her, but Casey knew that coming over and hanging out with Izzie's siblings and helping out around the house was a way for her to show that she accepted Izzie's life, the life that she was so ashamed of at Clayton. So she continued to surprise Izzie with visits.

Wednesday mornings were filled with early track practices. After practice, the girls liked to go to lunch together, before parting ways to do their own things. Sharice's pre-season track practice also coincidentally happened to fall on Wednesday mornings, so Casey often spent her Wednesday afternoons with Sharice, listening to her complain about how sore her limbs were.

Thursdays were the days that Sam and Paige were free, so Casey and Izzie sometimes hung out with them. Paige tended to be a little bit intense, to say the least, but it always was a lot of fun for Casey and Izzie to try and get on her nerves. Whoever made Paige explode with rage on any day would be the loser.

Track practice dominated Fridays for Casey and Izzie. They had practice starting in the morning and ending mid-afternoon, but neither of them minded. Casey and Izzie loved having the chance to talk to the track girls, especially after coming out as a couple. They were all, thankfully, friendly and accepting about it. After practice, Quinn loved to throw parties, so of course, that's where Casey and Izzie headed.

Then came the weekends. Though Casey saw so much of Izzie throughout the week, she cherished the weekends because she could see even more of Izzie. Saturdays and Sundays were devoted to them and them alone, and these days were often spent exploring the local area, alternating on who got to pick what they were going to do. Izzie had just brought her to a nearby state park for some light hiking, and now, it was Sunday night, and Casey was allowed to choose.

This Sunday, the last Sunday of summer, was a little different. Casey had gotten her cast off in the morning, but she still wanted to spend some time with Izzie before school started in a few days, so she decided that they would go stargazing. She took her dad's truck, bringing a blanket to spread on the back and some food to share. Casey found a nice, secluded little parking lot in the local park on a slight cliff to see the stars clearly, so she set them up there.

"You know," Izzie drawled, popping a chip into her mouth as she leaned against the walls of the cargo bed, "I think this has been the best summer of my life."

"Yeah?" Casey turned to look at the girl beside her, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah," Izzie replied, nodding slowly as she looked Casey over. There was something effortlessly alluring about Izzie, where every single move she made -- every single twitch of her mouth and every slight glance she stole -- was hot. "And like, I mean, you could say it back... but I guess this wasn't your best summer or something or whatev-"