LOOK AT ME (15)

I went to Fatima's house this weekend. We arranged it on Friday after school. She gave me a couple of warnings about her dad and stuff because he likes it better when she has Muslim friends instead and I didn't blame him at all. A lot of parents care about faith

Right now, I am ranting to her and my problems.

"I want to relate to him more. I want to understand him." I tried to complain to Fatima to see if she can see where I'm coming from.

She only looked confused, "But I thought you said you wanted to stay away from him."

I waved her off, "Hey I don't remember saying that."

I remember saying that.

"But you just said—"

"Forget that will you." I shoved my hands in her face in exaggeration, "I want to understand him now. I want to talk to him like we have something in common."

She didn't seem to know what I was talking about but I tried my hardest to make it clear. I wanted to relate to him in Islam you can say because that's something I can learn. I mean I know how to say hello/goodbye and thank you and I've never been so proud of myself.

Islam is really cool you know I really don't understand why people have something against them. Not all people just the racist annoying kind. Look at them, they have a cooler religion then everyone! For god sake, they speak their own language even if they aren't Arab! That some magical shit right there sisters.

"Teach me something Islamic. Something I can say to Ahmed and he won't look at me like a weirdo." I chimed hoping my little childish behaviours would lighten the mood, "Teach me something everyone in your religion should know. Like everyone."

"The five prayers." She shrugged her shoulders like that was the first thing she even thought about, "There are these five prayers you pray every single day and a specific time. Every muslim should know about that."

What? Five times? They have to pray five times?

"Pray how?" I asked confused, "Like pray to god?"

She laughed, "Yeah like pray to god."

"Do all muslims do it?"

Her facial expression slumped and she looked away sadly, "No."

Why was that so sad? I mean I know christians are supposed to pray sometimes. And I know severe hard core christians pray like so many times a day but me being a Christian, I've only prayed but on dinner time and I've never even felt guilty about it.

Should I?

"You said these prayers were at specific times?" I asked, curious as hell. I've never seen Fatima pray. I wonder how she prays.

"Yes." She started letting her fingers out as if she was going to count them, "One early in the morning, another at noon, one after noon, then the one at sunset and then finally," she clicked her tongue, "The night prayer."

Whoa what the fuck.

"Each prayer lasts about two- to- five minutes. You are obligated to pray after you hit the age of maturity. For a guy, it's like 12 to 13 and for a girl is mostly when she gets her first period."

I laughed like something was funny. Nothing was funny I was just hoping she was kidding.

But she didn't look the slightest bit amused.

"Wait your serious?" I almost felt bad for laughing, "How can you cope with that? Praying five times a day?"

"It's not bad at all." Said Fatima, "I like praying. It's all about the religion you know, Islam can get you attached. And when it does, you are going to want to pray no matter where you are."