3) Abel the Hero?

I take a closer look at the person who called me. It's the boy that stood beside Abel a few minutes ago. He calls me over to him. "I'm Dax," he says. He gestures to the disappearing form of Abel and the girl. "Don't let my sister get to you. She kind of has a thing for Abel."

I can feel myself getting angry. I shouldn't feel this way. His sister's crush shouldn't affect me. Who cares if she and Abel are an item? I care. I'm taken aback by my own omission. What I'm feeling is wrong. I know this, but my mind refuses to let the feeling go. I can't make the same mistakes like last time. The cringe that follows is involuntary.

I can vividly remember the fist pummeling my already bruised body. Their feet kicked and stomped me. I begged them to stop. Pleaded with the crowd of onlookers to help. No one moved. They stood there and watched. Watched as my blood painted the sidewalk.

My tormentors left me there once their bodies became tired and sore. They laughed as they walked away. Telling me it was my fault this happened. If only we hadn't gotten caught. If only he admitted, it was his idea and not mine to sneak kisses in the boy's restroom.

Til this day it wasn't the beating that hurt the most. I could handle the bruised and fractured ribs. The black eye and swollen face. What hurt the most was watching my crush take part in the beating. I'm extremely cautious because of that. I'd rather be alone than suffer that sort of humiliation again.

That's why I'll keep my distance with Abel. I can hear someone calling my name. I pull back the memory and focus.

"Are you okay?" It isn't Abel whose eyes show me concern it is Dax's eyes. He looks me over. "Sam didn't hurt you did he?"

I shake my head. "First-day jitters," I lie. Dax smiles and pushes me towards the building. Abel is waiting for us in the hall at the front entrance. He smiles when he sees me then turns his attention to Dax. I smile back, hoping Abel isn't able to see the blush creeping up.

"I was starting to think you were going to ditch." Dax smirks and glances back.

"There's still time for me to make a run for it. If you weren't whisked away by my sister, we could have been halfway somewhere by now." They both laugh.

I feel awkward standing there watching the two of them. I've always wanted a friend I could joke with. I rock back and forth on my feet. I should walk away instead of standing and watching like an idiot.

My eyes shift between them and the unknown down the hallway. I choose the unknown. I thrust my hands in my pocket. My right hand fingered the cellphone strap. It helps me relax. Once more I look at the two boys laughing and playing around with one another. I turn and begin my descent down the hall. I can tell someone is behind me long before I feel a tug on my book bag.

My body jerks backwards. I think about Sam. The look on his face after Abel stopped him from hitting me and before he walked away. I think about him taking his revenge. Is this what this is? My body tenses of his own accord. It's preparing itself to be struck.

While I stand there waiting, I hear giggling. I open eyes that I didn't even know were closed. Abel and Dax are watching me.

"You're not leaving, are you?" Abel smiles as he says it.

"Yeah, I need to check in at the main office." Abel frowns at my answer. I'm not sure of what to say so I just stand there trying to avoid Abel's eyes.

"Do that tomorrow and come with us," Dax chimes in.

"Yeah," Abel says, "it's a nice day to go to the beach, don't you think? I promise your day will end better than it started." A day with Abel. I'm almost tempted to say yes. Almost tempted to forgo the norm. After all, it's a prime opportunity to get to know him better. I couldn't ask for anything more.

I think of all the possible things we could do together. I wonder what could happen if we did hit it off. My imagination runs wild from the possibilities of that one statement. I rub at my face to hide my blush. Just when I think I'm firm in my decision, doubts begin to creep in.

Do I really want to start off this way? Skipping out on my first day at a new school? I bite down on my bottom lip as I make my decision. I just hope I'm making the right choice.

"I." I take a deep breath. Air fills my lungs. Slowly I  release the air and with it leaves the doubts and concerns of what I'm about to do. I start again. Abel is observing me. I start to wonder if he's testing me. "I know we just met and everything. Wait." I take another deep breath. "That's not what I want to say. Thanks for inviting me to hangout with you guys. I appreciate it, especially since we just met, but I can't ditch on my first day." I rush the last part. If I didn't I think, I would have given in and went with them. "Sorry," I say.

Abel pouts. "After everything I've done for you," he says, "I'm truly hurt." I know he's just feigning how hurt he is, but my shoulders slump and my eyes focus on the patterns on the tiled floor in disappointment anyway.

Another chuckle escapes his lips. He pats me on the back causing me to look up. "Next time you're coming whether you want to or not," he laughs.

"That's right, even if that means kidnapping you," Dax agrees. They both laugh and turn to walk out of the front entrance. I look after them hoping I made the right decision. I wonder what kind of person Abel really is. I let myself ponder this as I walk down the hall.