12) Abel the Boyfriend?

I sat. My eyes follow Dax and his agitated steps. He carves a path into the hardwood floor of my living room.

Every now and then, he approaches the spot where Abel and I sit. His mouth opens. We anticipate the rant that will spew forth, but it never comes.

He promptly turns and resumes his pacing. Dax turns his gaze to Abel. His eyes shoot daggers at Abel.

"Why did you stop me?" He points a finger at Abel. Abel calmly sits there watching, waiting.

"Friends shouldn't fight. Besides, what would hitting Nicca solve." Abel places his hand on my shoulder and gives it a pat.

Having Abel this close is reassuring. I'm not sure how things would have turned out if he hadn't stopped Dax. I have to keep the grin starting to form from showing.

Love is Abel? Do I really think that? I remember Gianluca and his rules. All the air is sucked out of my lungs. Loyalty. Does that mean I'm not allowed to have these feelings for Abel?

I ponder over my thoughts a few seconds longer before Dax's scream breaks my concentration.

"It would have made me feel better," he yells at Abel. "Can you even call him a friend? He knew and never said one word. Friends don't do that. He knew how much this was bothering me, yet...."

Abel gets up and walks over to Dax. He grips his shoulders and give them a little shake.

"You can't blame Nicca. I knew too." Dax pulls out of Abel's hands. He shakes his head over and over. Disbelief flood his eyes.

He backs up. His back bumps into a chair by the window, causing him to fall over the arm of the chair. He lands in the seat with a thump.

His eyes never stray from Abel's. "You knew? What do you mean you knew?" Dax's voice grows louder with each word. "How could you betray me like that? For him?"

Dax stomps towards Abel. Each step he takes sounds thunderous in the big room. He stops a few feet away from him. His eyes are downcast, voice low.

"Why didn't you tell me? You of all people know what's it's like to have your family torn apart. So, why?"

Dax sounds so sad. Abel's demeanor is frustrating. He does not move. He does not speak. I can see him thinking, calculating the many outcomes his words will have when he finally says them.

"We are friends Dax. I didn't say anything because this was between you and Nicca. I didn't want to make things worse. Yes, my parents divorce hurt. I blamed everyone but the responsible party. I didn't want things to change.

In the end though, you can't compare my mother walking out and choosing not to be with a man that hit her to what your father did. I was pissed too when I saw your father and Nicca's mother waltzing in here together.

I wanted to yell and argue, but I've had time to think about it. You may not want to hear this, but your mother is better off. She deserves better Dax. You can't blame Nicca for what his mother did."

Dax's eyes bore into me. Anger emanates from them. Even with Abel's words, Dax still wants to put everything on me.

"Why are you defending him? If it weren't for his mother, my parents would still be together." Dax still doesn't understand.

Abel looks over at me. I wonder what he'll say. I want him to acknowledge his feelings for me. I need to know that I'm right to feel the way I do about him.

He gives a hesitant grin, running his fingers through his hair. "I guess it's because I like Nicca. I just don't want him to be punished for something he has no control over." Abel chuckles nervously. His eyes quickly glance in my direction before focusing back on Dax.