10) Gianluca the Rule Maker

It's been weeks since my mother announced her engagement. Weeks since I saw first hand the damage my mother and Dominic has caused. Dax constantly talks about how he's going to find Nova and make her understand what she's doing to his family.

I want to tell him it would be useless. My mother is incapable of sympathizing with anyone else. She doesn't care what pain they feel as long as she comes out on top.

Every day I hear Dax cursed filled rants and every day I decide today isn't the day to tell him my mother is the one that's responsible for what his family is going through. It's during these times that I wonder how Abel feels about all of this.

Whenever he's alone at school, I can sense his internal struggle getting worse. He told me he wouldn't say anything to Dax. He told me this the day Dax found out about the divorce and continues to tell me the same words each time we talk.

I've asked him several times if it's okay for him to not tell Dax. I worry that cracks will begin to appear if Dax finds out that Abel knew and didn't say anything. Abel just gives me a half smile and tells me their friendship has survived worse.

Abel wants me to be the one to talk to Dax. I wouldn't know what to say. I can't walk up to him and say, 'Hey Dax, sorry my mother slept with your dad and convinced him to divorce your mom. We can still be friends though.'

Somehow, I don't think that would really fix anything. Besides, I don't really believe that my mother is the only one at fault. Dominic chose this too, but I doubt Dax will see it that way.

I sit on a bench on the pier, watching the waves come and go. The one good thing about living here is how close I am to the beach. I thought coming here would clear my mind but it hasn't.

No matter how many times I think about it I'm still not sure how to approach Dax. I don't want to make matters worse, but I feel like that's all I'll do if I talk to him now. I would ask Abel about what I should say, but he already has a lot on his mind.

The wind blows and I smell a familiar scent. My mother is somewhere near. She's the last person I want to be around. There's been so much tension in the house since Dominic has moved in.

My mother says that it's my fault things are like this. She blames me for making her pregnancy "difficult." Pregnancy? She only gets morning sickness whenever I bring up the fact that both Dominic and her are despicable human beings.

Her back on hurts when she doesn't want to do anything around the house, which is why we have a maid now. Lies and more lies. That woman really has no limits when it comes to getting what she wants. I can't help but wonder if she really is pregnant.

I search the area to see where she is and if I can somehow avoid her. I stretch after standing and give the beach and pier a brief glance. She smiles when she sees me, waving me over.

For a second, I contemplate on whether or not I can claim I didn't see her and walk away. I take too long to decide. My mother, Dominic by her side, walks towards me.

"Nicca," she exclaims, "I didn't expect to see you here. I've tried calling you." My mother turns to Dominic. "Didn't I, but you didn't answer. I wanted to tell you that we were going to go away for the weekend since you have a three-day break from school."

This had to have been Dominic's doing. My mother would never invite me on a trip with her. How many times had I been left at home while she played about with some boyfriend.

I look from her to Dominic before answering. "Will it be just the three of us or will you son and daughter join us?" Dominic doesn't respond. My mother glares at me.