11) Dax the Loyal

Gianluca's smile was a cross between a predator who finally had its prey in sight and an angel offering salvation to the frightened prey. We sat across from each other in his dining room.

He continued to smile and flash a set of perfect teeth in my direction each time he paused from shoveling a spoonful of food into his mouth. I didn't know what to say to him.

The silence didn't seem to bother him as much as it did me. I pushed the food around my plate as I thought of what to say. I had no appetite after seeing what played out the night before.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I forced myself to ignore the constant vibration. Whoever was calling would have to wait. I still wasn't sure what Gianluca meant by his three rules. He was unfazed by the murders he committed. I could tell by the way he greeted me this morning with what I presumed to be a welcoming smile.

Gianluca's eyes wander from my plate to my face. He does this three more times before saying anything.

"What's wrong?" Gianluca searches my face for any signs. I was never good at this game. I never learned to hide my emotions. I stare back for as long as I can. Eventually, my gaze drops and I resume looking at my uneaten plate of food.

"What's wrong Nicca," Gianluca asks again.

"Nothing," I mumble. Gianluca doesn't look convinced by my words. He pushes his chair back and stands. He walks a short distance to where I sit and pulls me to my feet. His arms wrap around my waist and he holds me tight against his body.

He whispers in my ear that everything will be okay. He told me again how sorry he was about choking me several weeks ago. Once more he begs for my forgiveness. I feel nothing as he hugs me while his hand rubs my back. He tells me how much he loves me and that he doesn't want to lose me again.

My phone chooses this moment to start its incessant buzzing again. I can tell that Gianluca can feel the vibrations because he holds me tighter. He takes a deep breath and I worry about what he'll do. I don't have long to wait. Gianluca pulls away from me.

"Answer it." His voice is low and threatening.

My hand shakes as I reach into my pocket and pull out my cellphone. Abel's name flashes on the screen. There's a slight tremble in my voice as I answer the phone.

"Hello?" Abel's voice is loud to my ears. "Nicca? Where are you? I went to your house but no one's home." I think carefully about my response as Gianluca's eyes never stray from my body.

"I'm at a friend's house," I tell him. Abel hesitates. I can barely hear him breathing on the other end of the line. I wonder if he can tell I'm lying. I wait a few seconds more before saying a tentative, "Hello."

Finally, I can hear Abel breathing. "Oh," he says. His voice is quiet. "Friend, huh? Well, I was just wondering if you've heard from Dax recently."

"I haven't. Why?" Maybe this is Abel's way of warning me that Dax knows about my mother. I wait for Abel to explain why he asks. He remains silent.

"Dax is looking for you." That's all he says before I hear a click.

I don't know what to think. Too many thoughts bounce around my head as to why Dax would be looking for me. Even though, I want to know the reason. I can't help but think about Abel. His voice when he gave me that warning sounded strained. I feel like I've unknowingly hurt him somehow.

I couldn't possibly tell him the truth of where I am. Especially, with the trigger happy Gianluca. I silently curse Gianluca in my head. In this instance, I hate him more than anything and anyone else. It's the first real emotion I've felt since seeing my aunt's lifeless body.