7

Jai had just realized what she'd been told and it dawned on her that she'd be alone with this man, in the comfort of his own home.

"Why?"

"Why what?" She could already hear the tinge of laughter in his voice.

"Why am I spending the night at your place? I could have taken care of myself for the night," Jai huffed.

"You know, for someone who's been given a ride by someone who didn't have to pick them up, you sure are feisty right now...and a little ungrateful."

"Aubrey...it has–

"Why do you think you're able to call me by my real name?" Drake interrupted her.

"Because it's your name." Jai turned her head to look at him, squinting her eyes.

Drake shook his head. "Yes, a name that I only let those close to me use."

"And?" Jai shrugged. "You know what, just forget it. This still doesn't take away from the fact that you took it upon yourself to make a choice on my behalf. I'm 23 years old. I can take care of myself."

"Says the same woman who got herself stranded in the first place."

Jai swung her phone. "You can let me out right now. I can call an Uber from here. It's not like I don't have the money." It was, however, money she didn't want to spend on something so small, no matter how much she had.

"I'll take that," Drake had disarmed the phone from her hands as she sat there in shock. Not quite believing how bold he was, "and you can sit your ass right there. You're not going anywhere. I thought it would be a good gesture if I took care of you tonight. There. You happy?"

Was she happy?

"You want to take care of me?" Jai scrunched up her face in confusion.

"I do," Drake confessed.

Jai stared at him, letting the sounds of nightfall fill her ears. "Why?"

Drake laughed as he rubbed along his beard. "I just tell you that I want to cater to you tonight and you ask why? Most women would die to be in your position."

And just like that, the spark she felt for him had fizzled. He'd had a habit of comparing her to the other women he'd been with and the vast majority of women he could be with. Was he overcompensating for where he lacked? Was he not used to a woman not openly fawning over him? Whatever it was, it managed to leave a bad taste in Jai's mouth every time.

"I'm not like other women. If you haven't figured that out by now, why am I even here?" Jai sassed, "Stop comparing me to women you've had or women you could have."

"I mean I can't help it if...nah, never mind. I'm not gonna go down that road. So, you ok to spend the night here or should I just take you home?" Drake pondered.

Jai looked at him and then looked out of the window. She was pretty curious as to what a millionaire's house actually looked like.

"Well, we're already here. There's no reason for you to drive me all the way back, just to drive back home, so I guess I'm staying tonight." She let out a little sigh as she stepped out of the car and made her way to the front door which looked like it was worth thousands of dollars with the intricate details it housed.