4

Jessica stood still before the apartment door. There she was, right in front of what was going to be her home for the months to come. She took a deep breath and looked at the small backpack she was carrying. Tony had provided her some clothes and everything she would need to go back to school. He had also told her to call him - on a brand new phone he had given her - in case she needed something else. The girl knew that wasn't going to happen, he had already done too much for her. She looked back at the door. She had to remember to introduce herself as Jessica Matthews. Yeah, that was her name now. At least Mr. Stark had let her keep her first name. She knocked three times on the wooden door and just a few seconds later it flew open. A young woman greeted her with a smile, but she didn't say anything. 

"Hi." Jessica decided to break the silence.

"Oh, you must be Jessica! Hi, I'm May. Nice to finally meet you, Mr. Stark told me great things about you." She sounded very excited and had offered her hand. Jessica gladly shook it as a response, still outside of the apartment. "Come in, please."

The apartment wasn't small, but it was definitely not as big as the Avengers compound. Jessica didn't mind though, she thought that simplicity was nicer. 

"Thank you for letting me stay here Mrs. Parker-" She couldn't finish the sentence.

"Oh, no, dear. Call me May, just May."

Jessica smiled. "Thank you, May."

"It's alright. Come, I'll show you your room. I'm sorry it's so small, but I tried to make room for your stuff, although I don't see you carrying much. Please, make yourself comfortable."

She was right. The room was small, but Jessica wasn't going to ask for more. It was more than enough.

"The room is perfect. Thanks again for everything."

"It's okay, Jessica. We're very happy to have you here."

The plural form confused her. Who else was involved in this? "We?"

"Wait, haven't you met Peter yet? I thought you would have meet through the internship."

Once she heard the word internship she knew she had to play it cool.

"Oh, right. Well, I haven't started working on the internship yet."

"You must be so excited. Peter didn't even tell me that he applied for the grant. Can you believe that?" Jessica had no time to answer her question since she kept on talking. "Anyways, I'll let you alone so you can rest a little. Welcome to New York!"

___

Midtown School of Science and Technology... Mr. Stark doesn't cut back, does he?

Jessica's thoughts had her staring at the building before her. She knew she was about to enter one of the best technological schools in New York. And even though she wasn't the type of person who liked spending so many hours sitting down inside a small room surrounded by sweaty and smelly people, she actually put some effort this time.  She had woken up early and put tried to look decent.

The main reason she had actually tried was because she felt obligated. With everything Mr. Stark had done for her, she felt that skipping class or not showing interest would seem ungrateful.

"Hey! You're the new girl right?" Her inner thoughts were interrupted before she could go through the main entrance. A tall and thin girl was looking in her direction, but she didn't think she was talking to her. Until she got confirmation. "Jessica Mathews?"

"Yep." She nodded, pressing her lips into a thin line. It felt strange to answer to that surname. Jessica Mathews. "That's me."

"Hi, I'm Liz. I volunteered to give you a quick tour around the school before you start going to your classes." Liz held the door for her and waited until Jessica was inside the building. Then they started walking.

"Welcome to Midtown School of Science and Technology. Have you thought about joining any extracurricular activities?"

"Not really."

Is it not enough with just showing up to class?

"You could join the marching band or the robotics lab, if you're into that." Liz started explaining. "But I would totally recommend you to join the decathlon team."

"Decathlon team? I don't know about that..."

"Well, just think about it." Liz smiled, what made Jessica feel less pressured. "You would have to give me an answer by the end of the week, though."

They were done walking around the school in less than twenty minutes. Liz had shown her the chemistry labs, the gym, the cafeteria and the rest of facilities. Jessica thought it wasn't too different from her old school. And actually, she thought Liz was pretty nice. She was a senior like her, she seemed pretty smart and not concided at all, although she was really pretty.

"So that's pretty much it, I'm sure you'll get used to everything in a few days." Liz concluded and handed Jessica a paper sheet. "Here you have your schedule. We go together in pretty much all of the classes, so if you have doubts, just ask me." Jessica just nodded, not knowing what to say next. Liz broke the awkward silence. "Look, I have to do some homecoming things. I'll see you around!"

"See ya."

She had turn around and was now walking away from Jessica. Normally, the old Jessica would have done the same, not caring about extracurricular activities or helping with homecoming. But Jessica had changed and she felt an urge to return the kindness she had received from her new classmate.

"Wait! Liz...?" She called her and Liz turned around. "Do you need any help with your homecoming things?"

Liz just smiled and nodded her head, a gesture that invited Jessica to follow her.

...

Liz carefully leaned on the edge of the ladder so she could hang the poster by the top corner. It was amazing how she managed not to fall without showing any sign of struggle. A moment later she leaned back, a radiant smile forming in her mouth as she proudly admired the final result. She looked so beautiful when she smiled like that.

Or at least she was to his eyes.

Peter Parker was sitting next to his best friend Ned in the cafeteria. Both of them staring at the senior girl. Peter thought this had to be the best moment from his day so far.

He had overslept and ran to school that morning. It happened to him quite often lately. But he couldn't complain, though. He had gone to sleep pretty late the night before. He had been busy protecting the city. Watching the girl he liked was certainly the best part of his day.

"Did Liz get a new top?"

"No." Answered his friend, also staring. "We've seen that before, but never with that skirt."

Peter's gaze fell from Liz's skirt to the girl holding the ladder for her. He had never seen her.

"Who's the new girl?" He asked, still looking at the mysterious girl.

"I don't know... She's pretty though." 

She was, he had to admit it. Her platinum blonde hair and clear blue eyes made her stand out of the crowd. But Peter thought there was something more about her he was missing.

"Yeah..." He sighed. "I don't know, there's something about her that doesn't feel right..."

"We should probably stop staring before it gets creepy."

But Peter didn't stop. Something about that girl didn't let him.