5

Jessica was happy with how the first day in her new school had turned out. She ended up not attending any class that day, what was absolutely fine to her. Instead she had spend the whole day with Liz, helping her with homecoming and meeting her friends.

She was walking home alone, since Liz had to stay for a decathlon team meeting. Jessica thought that maybe it wasn't such a bad idea, joining the decathlon team. In fact, her father had always told her to join the one from her old school, but she always refused. She had always been smarted than the other kids in her class, and she didn't want to look like she wanted to brag, but maybe in this school was different.

"What ya doing all alone, girl?"

Jessica realised she was lost when a voice behind her stopped her.

Two men, wearing all black and covering half of their faces had corned her into a dead end street. Between a car and a container, they had little space to move. 

"That's a really nice jacket you got there." Said one of them, referring the the leather jacker Mr. Stark had given her. "Why don't you give it to us?"

"S-stay away from me." At first, her voice didn't sound too confident. "If you don't want to get hurt."

The two men shared a look and then one of them pulled out a knife. Although their mouths were covered, Jessica knew they were smirking. 

"What are you gonna do? Punch us with those tiny hands?" As they moved forward, Jessica backed up. "I don't think so."

She was paralysed, staring at the knife. She had never been in this position before. Heck! She had never thought she could end up in this position. She felt her heart beating faster and faster, but she was still frozen. A second later, the knife she was intensely gazing was no longer in the man's hand. It had flew into the container, which had now a dent and the knife embedded on it. 

"What the hell!"

Jessica was in even more shock than the men. Maybe that's what it meant to have radioactivity manipulation. 

"I warned you." She managed to say, what just made one of the men to throw himself at her. She dodged his fist, locked his arm and returned the punch, what made him fall back. Despite what he had just seen, the other man gave it a shot and moved towards Jessica. Not knowing from where to hit him, she just brought her arms forwards to push him. Something from inside her came up with her push. It made a bigger impact than expected. The man hit the wall opposite to her. 

The two strangers were trying to stand up and they were going to attack her again. In panic, she looked at the car next to them. She focused on it, trying to move it, as she had done with the knife a few moments ago. Instead, it exploded.

"Holy sh-" 

The explosion had left the men unconscious, since they had been closer to it. Fortunately, they were still alive. Jessica wouldn't have been able to bare it if they had died for something she had done.

Suddenly, she felt her whole body pulling back against the wall of the dead end street. Her right arm was attached to it by some kind of... web?

"I must say" She heard a voice say. "that was pretty impressive."

This guy, she recognised it was a male figure, dressed in red and blue spandex and a mask with two white eyes fell in front of her. He was actually standing pretty close to her, and she couldn't back up any further.

"What the hell?" 

"Look, I don't want to fight." Once she heard that it was enough for her. She kicked him in the stomach and tried to free her arm. The guy backed up a little, not showing too much pain. "Alright, but this is your fault."

The next second her other arm was pressed against the wall by that webbing like the other one. It sort of reminded Jessica of spider web.

"Let me go, you stupid bug! You don't know who you're dealing with!" She threatened him, trying to get him to set her free. 

"Oh, really?" His tone was almost comical. "Then why don't you tell me who do you work for? Why did you attack those men?"

I attacked those men?! Jessica thought. Who was this guy?!

"Who I work with it's none of you business, bug." She was getting tired. "Now let me go or else."

"Or else what?"

Even though the last time she had tried didn't turn out okay, she gave it another try. She focused on him and the moment after he was actually lifting up from the ground. Before she could try to push him back, he spoke.  

"Hey! Alright, that's enough."

He pointed his hand at her face, doing a weird heavy metal fan sign. And then she couldn't see anymore.

___

Once the light hit her eyes again, she was no longer in the streets. In fact, she perfectly recognised the building surrounding her and the man in an AC/DC shirt before her.

"Hi there." Mr. Stark greeted her. They were in the Avengers compound once again. The ride there hadn't been comfortable, though. She had been carried on the bug-man's shoulder while he jumped around. 

"Tony," She exclaimed, outraged. Her eyes laid on the guy - better said boy - who had brought her here and now had his mask on. He was certainly too young for this. Jessica tried to point at him, but she her wrists were still tied with webs. "what the heck! This spider-kid kidnapped me!"

"Wait, what-" The boy seemed confused. "You two know each other?"

Tony finally let Jessica free. 

"Of course we do." She said as she rubbed her sore wrists.

"Wha- How is-" The boy was even more confused. "Who are you?"

"She's your new babysitter." Jessica could tell a slight sarcasm in Mr. Starks voice, but the statement started her in a defensive response.

"Excuse me?! I am not babysitting anybody!"

The Spider-boy added his comment to the argument. "And I certainly don't need a babysitter."

They both looked at him in silence for a few seconds. It was a bit hard to believe the boy's words considering what had brought them to that position.

"Alright, just don't let this happen again. She's kind of on our side."

"Sure, sir." Jessica could tell that the bug-boy looked up to Mr. Stark.

"Now, go back to whatever you were doing. You stay for a minute." With that, the boy left the room. Jessica watched the back of his suit as he walked out of the room. He had the shape of a spider right in the middle of the back. He actually called himself Spider-Man. Once he left, she was alone with Tony. "He said you used powers. That you made a car explode and you made him fly."

"I did." Jessica replied with honesty.

"How?"

"I don't know, it happened really fast. I just looked at the car for a moment and then it exploded."

"They must have unveiled themselves on a threatening situation." Tony rubbed his beard as he thought. "Just keep me updated if anything like this happens again, but try to minimize the use of your powers as much as you can. We want to be discrete, okay?"

She stood up, ready to leave. But once more, she was stopped before walking out. 

"Also, I'm going to have to ask you for a favour."

She turned around to face the older man. "What is it?"

"Well, you've already met the crime fighting spider. As you have seen, he's really impulsive." The outraged look she have him urged him to explain himself. "I'm not asking you to babysit him. Just keep an eye on him, try to avoid this kind of situations." 

"But what if I'm not there when it happens? New York is pretty big, you know."

"Oh, trust me, you'll know." He seemed amused with his last statement, but she decided not to ask why. She just gave in.

"I'm not going to take responsibility for any collateral damage." 

"Thanks, kid."