10

"... And then he just, like, swooped down like a monster and picked me up, and took me up like a thousand feet and just dropped me." Peter explained to the Iron Man, who had just taken him out of the water. The boy was soaking wet and was shivering as he talked. Stuttering, he popped the older man a question once he finished telling his part of the story. "How'd you find him? Did you put a tracker in his suit?"

"I put everything in his suit." The man in the armour replied. "Including this heater."

The suit automatically dried and Peter sighed in relief. "That's better. Thanks." 

They looked at each other confused when they heard the sound of an engine approaching. A moment later a motorcycle parked next to them, Jessica being the one who rode it.

"Where did you get a motorcycle?" Tony asked her, in a intimidating tone.

"I borrowed it." As she didn't get a response, she talked again. "I'm returning it, don't worry."

"Oh, you are. You're not getting away with stealing a vehicle." 

"Hey, don't turn this against me, I had to run after him because he wanted to fight the bad guys." Jessica pointed at Peter, feeling outraged. 

"I think I told you to not let him do this kind of things."

"Do you think I was okay with this? I tried to stop him."

"I saw you tried. And I saw what you did." Tony said, in a more comprehensive tone. She knew that he was talking about what she did with her powers, how she pulled Peter into the water. The Iron Man turned to the boy. "What were you thinking?"

"The guy with wings is the source of the weapons. I gotta take him down."

"Take him down now, huh." Mr. Stark asked, not really believing it. "Crockett, there are people who handle this sort of thing."

"The Avengers?"

"No. This is a little below their pay grade."

"Mr. Stark, you didn't have to come out here." The Parker boy kind of apologised. "I had that. I was fine."

"Oh, I'm not here." Suddenly, the man's mask removed itself to reveal that there was no one in the suit. "Thank God this place has Wi-Fi or you would be toast right now. Look, forget the flying vulture guy, please."

"Why?"

"Why? Because I said so!" He yelled back. "Stay close to the ground. Build up your game helping little people, like that lady that bought you the churro."

Jessica looked at Peter confused, who now looked a bit embarrassed.

"Can't you just be a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man?" Tony asked once more, sounding tired of having to repeat those words again.

"But I'm ready for more than that now." The boy replied, not willing to back down.

"No, you're not."

"That's not what you thought when I took on Captain America."

"Trust me, kid. If Cap wanted to lay you out, he would've." With that, Peter shut up. "Listen to me. If you come across these weapons again, call Happy."

The next sound that came from the suit sounded like a car engine starting.

"Are you driving?" Jessica asked, Peter was too busy sulking. 

"You know, it's never too early to start thinking about college. I got some pull at MIT. End call." 

"No, I don't need to go to--"

Mr. Stark is no longer connected.

With that the masked returned to its original position and the suit flew away.

"That's awesome." Peter said while looking down and walking away. "Stay close to the ground? What is he talking about?"

"You actually want me to say it?" Jessica followed him, not wanting to lose sight of him twice the same night. 

Peter looked at Jessica for a moment, pissed off. He was about to put his mask on and shoot a web to leave her alone on the street. But then he saw something glowing on the ground. He picked it up. It looked like a piece from the weapons the bad guys were producing, it had the same purple glowy colour from the gun's blast. 

Jessica was going to ask what that was when her phone rang. It was an unknown number.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Hi, Jessica. It's Ned." She stood silent, still not knowing who he was. "Ned Leeds? Peter's friend?" 

"Oh, right." She nodded, even though he couldn't see her. She didn't know what to say to him. "What's up?"

"Nothing much, do you know where Peter is?"

"Oh, yes he's right here." She said and handed her phone to Peter. "It's for you."

"Hey, what's up? I'm on my way back." He told his friend, who replied unbothered.

"Actually, I was calling to say maybe you shouldn't come. Listen."

Through the phone it could be heard how Flash encouraged the crowd.

When I say "penis," you say "Parker."  Penis! -  Parker! - Penis! - Parker!

"Sorry, Peter. I guess we're still losers. I'll see you tomorrow."

"I'll see you tomorrow in school." The spider-boy returned Jessica her phone, slightly disappointed. He hadn't had the best night.

"Peter, don't-" Jessica was just starting to comfort him when she saw the purple, glowy thing. She hadn't notice it was glowing. She went to touch it, but something happened before she could even set contact with it. "What's that? Ouch! It burned me and I didn't even touch it."

"I'll take it home." Peter said, standing up. Jessica looked at him with one arched eyebrow. What was he planning? "What? It's for a scientific research."

Tired and not wanting to engage a discussion with the stubborn boy, she let him take it under one condition.

"We're getting rid of it as soon as you're finished playing with it."