15

It had been hard for the two teenagers to scape from May's grip. She wouldn't stop hugging them and holding them, as she had been so worried that something might had happened to them. They all remained silence on their way back home. Jessica was still afraid but not as much as before what had happened with Peter in her room. After he showed her that she could touch him without poisoning him, she actually had hope for being able to control her powers. Nevertheless, she was still upset about the incident. 

To her relief, she wasn't the only one feeling that way. Just as soon as they made it home, she received a text from Liz asking her to stay the night over at her place. After asking May, she accepted her offer. One thing that had left her thinking was the way how Peter was looking at her as she packed her things to leave for the night. 

He was actually hoping for her to stay there with him. He didn't want anything to happen to her again. What if the Vulture attacked her and he wasn't there to save her? That thought made him feel a heavy pressure on his chest, but he had to let it go. Something told him that she was going to leave even if he asked her not to. She hadn't said anything, but he knew she was hurt in more than one way after the incident.

May was unwilling to let Jessica to go alone. The teenage girl thank her once she pulled over in front of her friend's house. A second after Jessica knocked on the door, Liz greeted her and welcomed her inside.

"Hi." Liz said pulling her into a hug.

"How are you feeling?"

"Better, I think..." Liz's voice sounded darker than usually. She seemed very affected. "You?"

"I'm fine." It wasn't a hundred percent true, but it was all too complicated to explain. The two girls walked upstairs towards Liz's room. It wasn't long until the host friend spoke again, thanking her.

"Thank you so much for coming, Jess."  She said as she sat down on the edge of her bed. "I didn't want to be alone, you know?"

"Yeah, I didn't want to either." Jessica received a confused look from her friend.

"What do you mean? Don't you live with Peter?"

Jessica felt her cheeks getting hotter. She hadn't expected Liz to ask her about him. Jessica was split. She saw Peter on a new light after everything that had happened during the day. He saved her, he saved them all. Besides, what he did on her room, putting himself at risk by letting her touch him, had meant a lot to the girl. However, she was still mad at him for disappearing and keeping everything to himself.

"Yeah, but... I guess I'm kinda mad at him for ditching." Jessica finally replied. "I just- I'm disappointed. I had higher expectations from him."

"Don't be so hard on him. He's only human. Don't expect him to be like Spider-Man."

Jessica's eyes opened wide.

"Oh, no. I don't." She quickly brushed it off. "I just think it wasn't kind of him to do that to m... to us."

"But that doesn't make him a bad person... You always talk about him like he's doing something wrong."

"No, it's just-"

Liz cut her off. "You like him, don't ya?"

"Yeah, I do. I was going to say, I don't think he is a bad person." Her reply was a bit oblivious.

"No, I mean, you really like him. Like you have feelings for him."

Jessica's eyes opened wider than before.

"What?! No! Why would you say that?"

"It's just that it all makes sense now: you're mad because you couldn't be with him at the decathlon." Liz started explaining her love theory. "Wait, were you with him the night before? Is that why you didn't go to the pool?"