05

chapter five

Welp.

Chemistry was not fun.

The entire class spent most of the period complaining about the new seating chart.

Including me.

I had to sit by the one person I had grown to hate this past year.

Anderson Thomas.

He's the captain of the football team, which just so happened to replace Reece when he graduated. Anderson let that get to his head, constantly flirting with every girl he thinks is attractive just to get laid.

Unfortunately, I've been his target since the beginning of the school year.

The teacher felt like it would be best if I sat next to him, saying that I was one of the smartest students in the class and he needs help.

Just my luck.

Maybe I could purposely get bad grades for the next week so she moves me away from him.

Or I could just write down the wrong answer and fix it after he's copied.

I like that one better.

"Jessica."

I roll my eyes and continue writing some more notes.

"Jessica!"

"Come on. Say something."

I reach for my earbuds, but he grabs them out of my hand before I can plug them into my phone.

"What?"

"Are you going to football tryouts during lunch?"

"Duh. Reece is helping out and George is trying out. I'm going for Reece and George only. Not you."

I rip the earbuds out of his hand, shoving them in my pocket so he won't bother to take them again.

"Damn. That sucks. Guess I'll just have to try harder during tryouts, not that I need to since I'm already captain."

"How many times do I have to tell you in order to get it through your head? I'm-"

"Thomas! Brown! Is there something more important than working?"

Anderson sits up. "She's helping me with the assignment."

He sighs. "Fine. Continue."

The assignment wasn't too hard, so I had finished it within a few minutes, leaving me to do nothing as he continued talking to me. I would roll my eyes at him every time he would try and start up a conversation with me.

"I'll see you during lunch?" He asks when the bell rings.

"Yea, unfortunately."

I grab my books and head towards my locker, grabbing my things and walking outside. I had no ride back to my house, so I wasn't sure how I would get home to help Reece. If I walked, I wouldn't be there until halfway through the period, and I would have to leave as soon as I got there if I wanted to make it back to class on time.