23

chapter twenty-three

I stand in front of the mirror, looking at the light pink dress

"I don't know if I should wear this." I say, turning to Carly. "It just doesn't feel right."

"Jessica, you look amazing in that."

"You've said that with the past four dresses I've tried on."

"So? You have looked amazing in all of them! What's the big deal anyway?"

"What's the big deal? Carly, we're graduating tomorrow. Of course it's a big deal!"

I sit down on the small bench in the dressing room.

"Why can't I pick a dress?"

"Because you have always dreamed of graduation day. You have always wanted the day to be perfect. You're just worried something is going to go wrong."

"And what if something does?"

"Then you push through it like you have with everything else." Carly puts her hand on my arm. "Tomorrow is going to be perfect, okay?"

"But what if-"

"No what ifs, okay? You can't think about everything that could go wrong. You have to think about tomorrow, and where you'll be going in life. You have to think about the big things, like deciding whether you'll be staying in a dorm room or finding roommates to live in a flat with you for uni. You have to think of how you'll be paying for uni, and how hard you're going to push yourself to graduate."

I nod.

"So hurry up and decide. We have a party to get to."

"You're still wanting to go to that?"

"Duh! It's the night before graduation!"

I smile. "I guess one little party won't hurt."

"Little? It's at Anderson's house. The party is going to be huge."

"Great. His house? Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"Because I knew that you would have said no the moment I mentioned it."

"You're right. I don't need the guy who-"

"And as of tomorrow, that will all be in the past. You don't have to think of him ever again."

"I guess I should be happy about that."

"You should be more than happy about it! He has been getting on your nerves every damn day since you moved here. What's not to be happy about?"

I laugh.

"Now, pick a damn dress."

"I don't know which one."

"Well, I personally think you should go with the light pink one."

"Is there any specific reason? You have a weird smirk on your face."