06

chapter six

I walk past Carly as I head towards the cafeteria, earning a look from her

"What the hell is your problem? And why is your hair soaking wet? And why do you have on a completely different outfit?"

"Oh you know, I was just knocked down by my dog who was covered in mud because Reece left her outside."

"Is the yard a mess?"

"It's the worst it's ever been."

"Oh god."

"I know. It's terrible."

"What are you going to do?"

"I left Reece to clean up the mess."

"Was he mad?"

"No. He realized that he had left the dog out and cleaned it up anyways. I didn't have to tell him twice."

"That's good."

"He just doesn't get up in time, and when he does, he runs off to get food. I love having him in my house, but it's the first official day and look what's already happened."

"Give him the week. If that doesn't give him enough time to adjust then I would kick him out."

"I'm not going to kick him out."

"Well if he's not going to do anything good for your house then why not?"

"Because I'm not mean. I've lived with him before, it's going to be fine Carly."

"Whatever you say."

"Let's just go watch tryouts. I've been dying to see how the new team is this year."

Carly looks over at me. "Does this have something to do with the fact that Reece no longer goes here?"

"You could say that."

"What does that mean? Do you have a sudden interest in Anderson?"

"God no. There's no way that is ever happening."

"So why did you say it like that?"

"I didn't mean to."

"So what is it?"

"George is trying out this year."

"He is?"

"Yea. He practiced with Reece all summer and he's gotten pretty good. I'm hoping he replaces Anderson as captain so I don't have to deal with his ego all the time."

"If that happens nobody will have to deal with his ego. It's terrible."

We sit down at our normal table and continue our conversation. I pick at my food, not really in the mood to eat. They served chicken nuggets today.