Chapter 9- Despicable (Unedited)

Avairy couldn't believe it. She had literally only blinked and when she looked back at the camera, the eyes were gone. She squinted in confusion, but her thoughts were interrupted by Pauly.

" They're coming back. I want to check that corridor myself, so I'm going to head down there and meet them. Are you okay to wait here?" Pauly was already heading towards the door anyway, so she gave a nod despite her uneasiness. She wasn't sure she wanted to be alone in the house after seeing the eyes. But Pauly left.

Avairy shivered at a chill that ran up her spine. Where had those eyes come from? Where did they go? Nothing quite made sense in this house. Any attemp at an explanation she came up with fell flat. There was only one thing she was certain of, and that was that the house was beyond haunted.

She heard footsteps. The noise was faint, but made her jump nonetheless. The footsteps were too heavy to be Pauly or Lil. Was it Lowe? Or Cristian? She hoped it was, but knew deep down it wasn't.

Just as fast as they had come, the footsteps stopped. The house was almost silent, apart from the distant mumble from Pauly, Cristian, Lowe, and Lil talking downstairs. Avairy shook herself, trying to convince herself that the steps were just her imagination. If only that had been true.

Her eyes temporarily glanced at the security cameras. But she had to double take. Her heart jumped.

They eyes were back.

And they were looking at her.

Every iris visible on the screen was staring directly into the camera. She moved slowly to the other side of the room, only for the eyes to follow her from beyond the camera. She moved closer to the screen, staring back at the eyes. Then suddenly, one pair of eyes shifted it's stare to something...behind her...

She screamed as a hand wrapped around her eyes, turning everything black.

They heard her scream. Cristian watched as Lowe and Lil went into a panic, both of them charging up the stairs. He looked at Pauly to see her watching them too, her thin face void of any visible emotion. He felt sick knowing that she had planned this.

He followed them upstairs, Pauly heading up behind him. Along the poorly decorated hallway, there was only one door open. They made their way to it.

When he looked inside, he saw Lil simply standing in the middle of the room, and a frantic Lowe come marching up to them.

" This is the room she was in?"

" Yes." Pauly replied quietly.

" Are you sure?!"

" Yes. She stayed in here while I went to talk to you." Guilt welled up inside Cristian as Lowe searched the room again. Once he was sure she wasn't there, he pushed past them and started checking the other rooms in the hallway. He came back to them, his face filled with anger.

" Why did you leave her alone?!"

" She agreed to..."

" It's your fault! You shouldn't have left her! I thought you were a professional?!"

" Lowe, calm down..."

" Calm down?! Avairy's missing! How can I be calm?!"

" Try being quiet." Lowe didn't know how to respond to Pauly's quip, so he did as she said and fell quiet.

" Good. If we head back home, we can get a team to thoroughly search the house for her."

" But..."

" Shush! You can't do anything. And I can't risk another minor going missing. Go home. Both of you." He looked like he wanted to disagree, argue, but there was nothing he could really say. She was right, Avairy's disappearance was going to reflect badly on her, and she didn't need the extra trouble of two more going missing. He took Lil by her wrist and marched her outside. Cristian glared at Pauly from behind her, until she turned to face him.

" Don't look at me like that."

" Are you happy?"

" Huh?"

" He's crushed. Your plan worked. Are you happy now?"

" Fine, I feel bad for him! Are you happy now?"

" I'm not happy. And your always the reason for that." He marched past her down the stairs to find them, leaving her standing in the hallway.

Pauly drove them back to Marcus's house, Lowe having to direct her. Lowe and Lil got out the car, but not until Pauly reminded them to stay away from the house and that they would be contacted when (and if) they found Avairy. Lowe was still desperate to argue, but failed to find words in his jumbled head. He noticed how quiet Cristian was for the journey, only speaking to apologise to them, but not saying anything to Pauly.

The car drove off, leaving Lowe and Lil standing on the pavement in silence. He shoved his hands in his pockets and stared at the ground. He felt Lil hold onto his arm.

" Do we just go home then?"

" No way. I'm not leaving her."

" But you heard Pauly. There's nothing we can do."

" Yes. There is." He looked at her.

" I'm going back to that house."

(A.N. A lot of dialogue in this chapter, but all of it needed. I'm so glad I'm back to writing this! Hope you're enjoying it!)