Chapter 6

Bucky was not antisocial. He just doesn't like socialising with people that much. He mostly stayed in his room where the others were safe from him and where he had the ghost called JARVIS in his room to talk to.

Bucky had woken up yet again from another recurring nightmare. It was about him falling off the train back when he fought alongside Steve in the war. It wasn't uncommon to find him waking up in a cold sweat with his heart pounding wildly. If it wasn't about the war, then it was about Hydra. Steve had suggested that he went to see a psychiatrist which he did and it had helped for a while, but it still failed to stop the frequent nightmares that he got night after night.

He sat up in bed, gripping the sheets tightly in his fists. Sweat drenched his forehead as he realised that he was in no danger. There was no train. He wasn't in the ice. He was in his room in the avengers tower. He needed a glass of water. He pulled the covers off himself and left the room. JARVIS helpfully lighted up the pathway to the lift as this was a common thing. Bucky then pressed the button for the common floor. As his feet padded quietly along the carpet, his ears caught the unmistakable sound of crying.

Bucky followed the source to the new nursery that the avengers had gotten for Peter. The lights were off when he entered it. The room wasn't as messy as he thought a nursery would be. But still, he remained cautious as he approached the crib.

There for the first time, he realised just how much he loved his new nephew. He knew that the kid pretty much had him wrapped around his finger. Peter was sobbing, which honestly melted the assassin's heart.

He knew that neither of the boy's parents were here at the tower at the moment. Tony was on a business trip to Italy and Steve was on a mission and both wouldn't be back until the next day. He didn't exactly want to wake the others up either.

Picking up the infant, he tried to remember anything from experience. He knew he had a baby sister he used to babysit all the time back in the 40s. He rocked baby Peter, whispering reassuring words to the infant.

"Come on. No one's gonna harm you here. Not while I'm around. That, I can promise you." Bucky whispered. He could have sworn he heard the infant squeal in his sleep but it was probably just his imagination. Or was it?

Peter's cries eventually subsided as it turned into sniffles as he snuggled into Bucky for warmth and used his heartbeat to succumb him to sleep.  Bucky was fine from here, to be honest. He didn't exactly want to get up from his spot. He could have been perfectly contented siting here all night spending it with his outright adorable nephew. Which, unbeknownst to him, he did. He stayed until morning came.

Needless to say, JARVIS took A LOT of pictures of the sweet moment and the video of Bucky calming Peter down that night, taking the liberty of sending it to the entire team. Bucky fell asleep with Peter in his arms. And for the first time, there were no more nightmares.

The next morning, Clint and Natasha walked pass Peter's nursery and smiled at the sight, having not checked their phones yet. Natasha walked to Bucky and shook him gently. Bucky jerked and pulled Peter towards him protectively but relaxed once he was certain that there was no threat to greet him.

"Hey. You've been here all night, haven't you?" She attempted to take Peter from him but Bucky just shook his head stubbornly, and if not, he just pulled Peter closer to him as an act of defiance. "Peter needs his sleep. Come on." Bucky nodded and reluctantly gave Peter up to the red head who placed the infant back in his crib.

Peter then yawned as he woke up. His brown chestnut eyes greeted the trio in his room. "Morning there, munchkin. Did ya sleep well?" Clint cooed. Peter squealed and reached out to Bucky, demanding to be picked up. Bucky was more than happy to oblige and secured him in his arms.

They spent the rest of the day watching movies with Clint introducing Bucky Star Wars and The Lord Of The Rings. Thor had somewhat joined in somewhere in the middle of the two movie marathons.
Peter had tried but failed to climb on Bucky's chest, using his metal arm as leverage. Bucky looked amused as he constantly pried the toddler off of him every once in a while. Peter just pouts in response but his attention was directed at the colourful screen, squealing everytime there was a battle scene. They were already at The Revenge of the Sith and had gotten to the part where the main character, Anakin Skywalker, was going to turn to the dark side and was face to face with Obi-wan (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in any way). Peter looked as if he was in a trance as he stared in awe at the fight.

"It was said that you would destroy the Sith! Not join them!" Obi-wan yelled.

Once the movie was over, Bucky had decided to entertain Peter with stories of the war, leaving out all the gory stuff, keeping it PG13.

"You know, your dad, Steve was the smaller one. He was always finding someway to get into trouble and I had to haul him out of every fight. He used a rubbish bin lid as a shield." Bucky mused as he remembered like it was yesterday. Peter squealed at the mention of his father's name. Bucky proceeded to tell him all about the times when he and Steve had to travel back to Brooklyn in a freezer truck since they had spent all their bus fair money on chilli hotdogs. The rides they would ride on at Coney Island just for the fun of it.

He was so busy talking that he failed to notice the power couple arriving back home through via elevator.

Let's just say, both Tony and Steve knew who to count on to babysit their son in the near future.