Chapter 8

"Director Fury. We have the files that you were searching for." Maria Hill handed a hard drive to Fury who took it. Once she was gone, he turned to Phil beside him and nodded.

Fury plugged in the hard drive into his laptop and typed in a password. The logo of SHIELD popped up on the screen. He opened 'files' and clicked on 'removable disk'. Clicking on the file, he read it's contents, his expression never changing as he took in every word that was present before him. There was only one thing left to do. He pressed his right finger to his communicator, "Avengers. Meeting in the briefing room in five. Don't be late."

The avengers filed in one by one and sat at their respective places. The only two that came a little late was Tony and Steve. "Sorry." Tony said as said two people entered the room, closing the door shut behind them. "We had to find a last minute babysitter and Peter wasn't having any of it."

"Avengers. I've gotten some news. We've managed to uncover more information about Peter." This caught all of their attention and they sat up straighter.

Fury opened up the file. A picture of a couple showed up with thier personal information attached to it. As Tony read it's contents, he could swear that his heart started beating faster by the second.

"I'm sorry. It's time you said your goodbyes."

Tony watched as seven year old Peter played with Clint and Thor. He couldn't seem to detach himself from such a precious sight. Even more so, he couldn't believe that this would all be over as soon as it had begun.

"When are they here to pick him up?" Natasha asked as he joined Tony by the couch.

"Tomorrow."

"I can't believe he's leaving us so soon." Wanda said.

"Neither can I." Clint replied. Each and every one of the members of the avengers had precious memories with Peter as they had helped Tony and Steve raise the kid. They were immedietely saddened by the fact that he was going to be taken away from them.

The hardest part was breaking the bad news to Peter. And when they did, they didn't expect half of what was coming.

"But, I don't wanna go with them! I wanna stay with you!" Peter wailed.

"I know, bud, but it's for the best." Tony said as he knelt down before his son.

"You guys don't want me anymore? Is that why you're giving me away to people I don't know?"

"No, it's just that SHIELD found your Aunt May and your Uncle Ben and they only see it fit that you go and stay with them. We love you no matter what, okay? Don't ever think otherwise." Tony replied firmly.

"Okay. When am I going?" Peter asked.  Honestly, he didn't want to know. The concept of leaving his family was not something he wanted to talk about.

"Tomorrow."

Truth be told, Tony was reluctant to let two complete strangers take Peter away. Those two didn't raise them, the Avengers did! They had no right! But Tony knew better than to argue against Fury's direct orders. He had no choice in the matter. 

He wanted to make every second with him and Peter count since it was their last day together as a family. They went to the park and got ice-cream, went to Disneyland and had the time of their lives with both Steve and Bucky nearly throwing up on the cyclone ride.

They had returned to Avengers tower with Peter reluctantly packing up his belongings. He didn't want to leave his family either but he didn't have a say in the matter and it was already settled.

When it was finally time to say goodbye to Peter, the entire team was nearly in tears. They couldn't bare to part with someone whom they had called family. Peter had outright refused to let go of Tony and was attached to his pant leg the entire time. "Don't make me go! You can't make me go! I wanna stay with you guys instead!"

Ben Parker took a step forward and placed a reassuring hand on him. "Hey, we're gonna take such good care of you Peter. You can still visit maybe once or twice a month. We'll just be living over in Queens."

"Petey. Hey. You gotta let go, okay? You're gonna go with this nice couple over here and they're gonna take such good care of you. We'll always be here no matter what, and don't forget that we love you very much." Tony said as he tried his hardest not to tear up when he was an emotional wreck inside. He needed to be strong for his son.

Peter nodded and took Ben's outstretched hand and his cries subsided to tiny sniffles. "Take as much time as you need, Peter." Ben replied.

Peter went to hug all his aunts and uncles goodbye, never wanting to let go. He clutched his Bucky bear and waved them goodbye one last time before leaving the building. The avengers watched helplessly as the car disappeared into the gloom in the far distance.

The entire team, especially Tony, was placed in a bad mood the rest of the day. They dispersed to do their own things while Tony retreated into his lab. "JARVIS. Lock the doors to the lab and don't let anyone in unless it's a life or death situation."

"Of course, sir." JARVIS replied.

As Tony tinkered in his lab, he thought about Peter. He knew that he was being outright selfish to just want to keep Peter for himself. Peter wasn't even his biological son. He knew that the people whom claimed to be May and Ben Parker checked out. He had JARVIS scan them himself when they entered Stark lobby. There was nothing wrong with their respective backgrounds and their ledger was clean. No criminal records. Not even an unpaid speeding ticket. He only wanted the best for Peter and he couldn't let his selfishness get in the way of Peter having a good life he deserved. He hoped so.

Peter sat in his seat as Ben Parker drove. None of them were talking. They had gotten a small break to eat or go to the toilet near some rest stops before they hit the road once more. A few hours had passed before Peter suspected that they weren't going to Queens at all.

"How long until we get there?" He asked.

"Soon."

Peter decided to kill some time on his Stark phone that Tony had given him for his birthday. Steve had argued that Peter should earn the phone instead of just having it without any form of effort, but Tony ignored him anyway. Peter started to tear up when he thought about it, but he quickly wiped his tear stained cheek with the back of his sleeve.

They started to veer away from the city area and Peter soon realised that he was in more trouble than he could ever imagine. Peter had gone to Queens once before and remembered the route perfectly. "Wait a minute. This isn't the way to Queens." He said as he pocketed his phone.

"You're smart, Peter. And you're right. We aren't going to Queens. In fact. There are some people who want your blood for the things that the Avengers did to them." Before Peter knew it, he was hit with something on the head and blacked out.

A/N:
I sincerely apologise if I have gotten anything wrong about the route from New York to Queens as I am not an American and am unfamiliar with it's maps.

All in all, I do hope that you enjoy this chapter!!