Chapter 17 - Well Roast My Ghost

BENNY

"I'm so sorry, Norman....I honestly had no idea."

The words tumbling out of my mouth seem woefully inadequate. Especially given what I've just witnessed.

I dig deep into my backpack and drag out a packet of wet wipes. Handing one over so he can wipe the melting ice cream off his hands.

There were only a couple of people in the shop when we entered. I waited patiently for the teenager behind the counter to fill up our waffle cones. While Norman checked his phone for messages.

But when I turned around to hand him his? It's as if a flash mob had descended upon him.

He was so gracious. Had a kind word for everyone and patiently let them take their selfies. It was only when he noticed someone taking pictures of me as well, that he called an end to it.

Waved to them all, took his cone and quickly ushered me out into the street. Once he grabbed my hand? I almost had to run to keep pace, as he led me around the corner to a small park.

*

"Don't apologise, sweetheart. It's just the way it is for me nowadays. I'm sorry that you got caught in it."

He gave me a wry smile while devouring what's left of his rum n' raisin. Most of which is now dripping onto the grass we'd flopped onto.

"What....?"  He looked up with a confused smile when I knelt beside him.

I grab another towelette, tip his chin back and start wiping his cheeks.

"You look like a drag queen who put on her lippy while bungee jumping. Fire engine red is soooo  not your colour, Norman"  I giggle, trying to rub the lip prints from his face.

"Better than some of the stuff they put on me when I'm on set....or a gallon of cream. At least you didn't do what my Mom used to when I was a kid. Spit onto a hanky to clean me up"  He winked before laying on the grass, leaning his head on a hand.

"We should've warned you about the fans and all that. The restaurant, the whole area really is a huge drawcard. Hopefully, you won't get caught up in it all. But if anything happens that makes you uncomfortable? I want you to tell me....Ok?"

"I'm serious, Benny! Me and Greg, we're used to dealing with it. A lot of the cast come into the restaurant regularly and it can get a bit hectic sometimes. Ash and the other guys keep it pretty much under control."

"But there are some extreme types who'll try and get to us through our staff....so promise me?"

My head nodded.

"Promise! I must admit it happened all the time at the hotel, cos we did a lot of events for the entertainment industry. But it seems to be amped to the max around here. That'll explain why there are so many people visiting this town. Women in particular?"

"I feel a bit silly because I just don't watch TV that often. So I know nothing about your show. Mum was jealous as all hell once she found out that you...."

The words freeze in my mouth and I feel my cheeks heating up again. They seem to be doing that constantly now.

And Norman appears to enjoy my predicament whenever I get myself into a bit of a state. That smirk of his is pretty much a permanent fixture whenever he looks at me.

Dammit and damn him.

It's not just my cheeks burning up!

This morning I totally let my guard down. While Sarah shepherded us around the town, Norman and I talked. Laughed almost non-stop and it'd been so effortless. Getting to know each other and finding out we have quite a few things in common.