The Three Laws

"Are we safe here?"

"For tonight." Greer added another twig to the small fire, smiling reassuringly at his son. "Try to sleep. I'll keep watch."

More numb than tired, Kai obeyed, laying down with his arms pillowed under his head, staring at the small tongues of flame. He was just beginning to nod off when something moved out there in the dark and he bolted upright, staring.

"I see it," Greer was getting up when the android stepped into the small circle of light. Her eyes went to each one, as if gauging their wellness before settling on Rhaner.

"You are well. That is good."

"What happened to you?" Kai was on his feet, staring at the androids clothing. Dark smudges stained the fabric. "Is that blood?"

"I have neutralized the invading threat," she told them. "You can sleep well tonight. I will maintain watch."

"Neutralized...wait, you killed someone?" Kai's voice rose a fraction as he edged toward his father, who looked equally concerned. "What about the three laws?"

"The three laws," looking at both of them in turn, no hint of mocking showed in her tone. "That is not a part of my programming."

"They have to be!" Again it was Kai that spoke up. "I read about it in history! The three laws are primary commands that prevent a robot from harming humans!"

"What humans choose to memorialize as history is illogical. The three laws, whatever you believe they may consist of, never existed. There was the Primary, and that was all."

"Primary?" Greer spoke this time, keeping himself slightly between the android and his son. "Explain."

"To never cause nor permit harm to those of your family, primarily your Owner, and those he has established as being among his loved ones. They are to be protected at all costs, against all threats."

"So...if another human was to threaten your owner...?"

The robot's eyes moved to Kai, remaining there.

"They will be neutralized."

"Raba (God)..." pushing his son back, Greer moved away from the android. "Hē vāhigurū, tū ripōraṭāṁ dā katala kara ditā (oh God, you murdered Reapers)..."

"They sought to do you harm, Greer. Have I done wrong?"

"Yes! You cannot go around killing people!"

"Would you rather I allow them to harm you? Or your son? It is against my programming, but if that is your wish-"

"Stop talking programming! We're speaking about human beings- lives for God's sake! How many men did you just kill!"

"Thirteen."

"Thirteen?!" Kai and Greer spoke at once, stunned. The boy recovered first. "How?"

"Kai!"

"Come on, Dad, aren't you curious how it took down over a dozen specialized soldiers?"

"No!" Rhaner glared at the android, then motioned her to accompany him away from the fire. Once out of hearing of his son, he turned on her.

"Why!"

"My primary-"

"I don't mean your programming! I mean, what gives you the right to kill people!"

"I cannot be more or less than what I am, Greer." Her reminder was said simply. "I act as I am programmed to act. I cannot deviate."

"Then we have a problem." He told her harshly. "I won't have you with us if you are willing to murder people who are just doing their jobs! I know you're an android, okay? I get it. But the Reapers weren't out to hurt us. They only wanted you!"

"I do not agree, Greer." Her eyes seemed to glow as they never left his. "The man that was in charge of the invasion was Ogden Hill. His task is to find, interrogate, and execute citizens seen as a threat against the Grand Chancellor. He knew that you and your son lived there. Finding me in your home was unexpected."

"How do you know?"

She held out the small device with a black screen she had taken. He took it, cautiously turning the data device on. His jaw hung open as a digitized photo of him appeared then one of his son scrolled across the screen, along with statistics about their lives, habits and family. It even had detailed information regarding his late wife, and Rhaner's eyes narrowed.

"Why would he have this? What do they want with us?"

"I have no answer for that, Greer, but I will remain with you, to protect you and Kai. If that is your wish."

"You know what?" His gaze met her calm one. "I think the Reapers just made this personal."

"Then I am for you, Greer Rhaner."

"I thought the Echo Class were supposed to be more human. You still sound like a robot."

"My imprinting on you is incomplete."

"Yeah, you've mentioned that. What else is needed?"

"A full sample of your DNA to encode and bond with my own matrix."

He blinked, expecting her to smile or say she was only kidding, that all she required was a fingerprint, but she just stood there. Returning his look.

"That sounds like it could be very interesting...or very painful."

"I will never harm you, Greer."

"Hmm..." he managed a grin, starting to imagine life from the unique viewpoint of an android. "We'll see. Come on."

"I am glad that I did not displease you."

"It sounds more human if you say, "I'm glad you're not angry at me.""

"Then..." she turned her head to look at him, the ghost of a smile fleeting across her perfectly formed lips. "I'm glad you're not angry at me."

"You know what?" He paused at the edge of the firelight, looking once more into the bluest eyes he'd ever seen. "I'm beginning to believe you." 

Her nod was slight though she never broke eye contact. It sent a ripple of goosebumps down his back, but not in an entirely unpleasant way.

"One more thing," his smile was fuller this time. "Thanks for saving our lives."