Broken Metal

He stared at it, frowning, worried. Androids! Inferior, much less complex, refined versions of the one standing at his side, but androids nonetheless. They looked like crude boxes, nothing in comparison to the sleek, soft, humanoid version Echo was. Glancing at her, Greer found the series five staring at him.

"What?"

"I am waiting for input regarding this contradiction to the information stored in my matrix. Robotics are outlawed, are they not?"

"For as long as I've been alive, for as long as anyone can remember, ever since the War."

"I do not understand how that is so." In an almost human gesture, Echo indicated the metal head he held. "That is robotic technology."

"It is." Nodding, Greer handed it to a delighted Kai. "I don't have an answer, Echo. I can't explain it. I don't even understand it myself."

Her expression said she didn't quite believe him, a notion Greer found ridiculous. Robots did not have doubts, they did not have feelings, or even true opinions. Only information formulated from available data. Yet the feeling lingered.

"Do you believe me?" He finally asked. She blinked. "Echo?"

"You are not lying."

"That doesn't always mean the same thing," he reached out then stopped, letting his hand drop. "I want answers, Echo. I need them, because whoever is trying to kill my son and I are using forbidden Tech to do it, Tech that hasn't existed in centuries."

Her eyes strayed to the hand hanging at his side.

"Why did you not want to touch me?"

"What?"

"Your hand,"

Looking down, Greer flexed his fingers, unsure.

"I don't know what you want from me, Echo. I have no idea what you need an Owner to do, and frankly...I don't think I want to know."

"Would you prefer I do not comment further on the matter?"

Eyeing her without lifting his head, Rhaner blew a breath from his nostrils.

"Go ahead."

"My function is simple. I am for you. Whatever it is that you need to be safe and happy, I will do it for you."

"Life isn't that simple, Echo."

"No," her lips turned up in a partial smile. "Yet I remain the same. I want to make you happy."

"Thanks."

Approaching, the android slid her hands over his shoulders, laying her cheek against his chest. Automatically, he returned the embrace then felt silly for wanting to push her away. Instead, he rested his chin against the crown of her head, his weight braced against the door of the ATV. Long shadows were beginning to stretch over the landscape, vivid color fading to grays and blues.

"Dad?"

"What, son?"

"She going to help us still?"

Greer smiled as he felt the android shift just a little, her weight moving slightly tighter against him.

"Yeah. We're in this together."

"Good." The boy settled behind them, leaning his chin against his good arm, and the three of them silently watched the sun sink below the distant horizon. When Greer finally pushed Echo from him he was surprised at the cool touch of air she left behind. It was easy to forget she wasn't human, but at the same time her very facsimile to humanity constantly surprised him.