Complicated

"Are you sleeping?" It was hours later, and the android had not moved or spoken for many miles.

"Sleep is not required, and I am fully charged." Was her monotone answer.

"Guess I forgot that." Slowing, he pulled the vehicle over, cutting the engine as the night took over the sudden silence. Crickets chirped nearby, frogs croaking from small patches of running water. The summer breeze had cooled slightly but carried the scent of flowers.

"Walk with me." Getting out of the ATV, Greer held the driver's side open for her, and Echo obediently slid out. Taking her hand, he led her from the vehicle. They'd talked a lot over the passing miles, but he felt a different conversation was now needed. Once far enough away he turned and pulled her into his arms planting a soft, full kiss against her lips. She didn't react, standing compliantly motionless.

"Tell me why I did that," he murmured softly.

"I do not know."

Sliding a hand into her hair, careful to avoid the place that had sent her into a reboot, Greer tilted her lips to his, kissing them lightly.

"Make an educated guess based on your observation of my habits and behavior."

"You...display...feelings for me."

"Yes," smiling, he rested his nose against hers. "I do care. I like you, and occasionally think you're funny. You're smart, charming, kind-"

"Those are human characteristics, Greer," she reminded him. "I do not possess them."

"Shh," tipping her mouth to his, he kissed her once more.

"Explain," Echo put her fingers around his wrist. "I do not understand this contradiction between your earlier statement and this new behavior."

"I will never fully own you, Echo, but I like you. I like having you around, and...honestly, I need your help. If you want, I'd like you to stay with me and Kai. I'd like you to help us."

"So why do you display physical affection if you have an aversion to intimacy with an android?"

"For a human, sometimes a kiss is the only way we can prove how we are feeling," he told her with a smile. "It may not make sense to you-"

"It does not."

"But that's how we are."

"So..." he could almost see gears turning in her head. "You are asking me to remain with you, because you enjoy my presence? I am under no obligation to you and your son? The Primary does not apply?"

"It does not. Stay only if you want to. If not," he gestured around them. "The world is huge, Echo. Walk it. Find a life of your own. Discover your own purpose."

"Robots do not have a purpose apart from their humans," she countered gently.

"You could. There is not another like you, Echo. You are unique in every way."

He could tell that struck a chord in her, for the android's head tilted and her eyes took on a faraway look as she abruptly stared over his shoulder.

"I am unique?"

"Very much so."

Echo struggled to accept that concept. Robots were not unique, it went against the core design and function of being a companionoid. There was no individuality, no separation in personality. Finally, her gaze fixed on his, her perfectly arched brows giving Echo an air of acceptance.

"If that is so...I desire to stay."

"Why?"

"I do not believe any androids in history have chosen their humans. If I am truly unique, then this is appropriate."