The Primary

Her cheek was nestled against his chest, shoulders and ribcage lifting in a shallow rhythm as if she were breathing. Greer hadn't been able to go back to sleep, but sat with his back against a tree, looking down at this strange form of life that had unexpectedly dropped into his. Every few minutes her eyelids twitched, as if in a dream. Every instinct he had told him she was dangerous. Robots didn't act the way she did.

"Dad...?"

"Here." He looked up as Kai yawned, rubbing his eyes.

"What-" the boy's expression stilled as he saw the android in his father's arms. A sneaky, knowing look bloomed in his eyes. His mouth opened but Greer cut him off.

"I don't want to hear it from you. Now that you're awake, we should get moving."

"Where?" The boy's gaze hadn't moved from the series five.

"Somewhere safe. We need to find out why Reapers are after us."

"Kinda obvious, isn't it?" Kai indicated the bot. Rhaner shook his head.

"They came to the house looking for us, son. They didn't know we had her."

"Really?" The shine of fear flashed through his eyes as Kai stood up. "How do you know? Why would they want us?"

"That's what we'll find out. Ready?"

"Yeah...I guess so."

"Echo," Greer shook her gently. She stirred then sat up, blinking. Looking around, she stood then watched as he got to his feet.

"Did I sleep?"

"I think so. You remember anything?"

"No."

"Sleep?" Kai broke in, approaching them. "Androids don't sleep! I was wondering what was wrong with you!"

"Not now, Kai." Greer gestured toward the glowing sunrise on the horizon. "If I recall, there's an abandoned factory by the river, in the old downtown district. We might be able to find supplies and weapons there."

"What about the Scavengers? If they see us-"

"I will protect you, Kai Rhaner." Echo's voice turned their eyes to her. Her gaze was on the boy.

"Killing soldiers is one thing, but civilians," Rhaner shook his head as the youth smiled.

"Cool."

"Kai, not helping."

"She's a bodyguard, Dad. It's awesome!"

"Killing is never awesome, son."

"If it is your wish, I can neutralize without fatality, Greer," she told him quietly, as though asking. "Although it does not eliminate the threat, it is an acceptable part of my primary programming."

"Come on, Dad!" Kai was grinning. "How can you say no to that?"

"Im not convinced, but," he gestured ahead of them. "Let's get moving."

In the hazy light of early morning, the trio set off through the sparse woods. Knowing the way Greer was in front, Echo taking up the rear. Kai walked between them, head down, lost in thought.

"You know what Dad? I bet Mom would have known what's up with the Reapers. Her job-"

"Kadē vī unhāṁ nū usē hī sazā dē taura'tē unhāṁ kirā'ēdārāṁ dē taura' tē nahīṁ dasō!" (Don't ever mention her in the same sentence as those mercenaries) Greer spun around, expression black. "Your mother had nothing to do with their organization!"

"How do you know! She'd never tell us where she worked before she married you, or who for!"

"Because there was never another soul on this planet as good, as kind, or as pure as your mother's! If you ever bring this up again, isa la'ī mērī madada karō (so help me)!"

Silence fell as they started on again. After a little while Echo reached out, touching Kai's shoulder. The teen's look was sullen but sad.

"He never says anything bad about her, even though I know he feels it."

Echo's voice was feathery soft.

"What was your mother like?"

"Perfect. Beautiful, funny...she's the only one who could make my dad laugh." Kai smiled little. "Her name was Mina."

"I like that name," Echo said softly, watching the boy's smile grow.

"Thanks."

"Might I suggest we find somewhere to hide?" She spoke suddenly, her expression going somewhat blank as her head lifted. "A group of people approach from beyond that ridge."

"What!" Kai gulped, eyes wide. "How do you-?"

Greer cut him off by roughly yanking the boy away, toward fading shrub and trees.

"Climb, and don't come down until I say so."

"What about you!"

"Next tree over."

"What about-?"

"Get up that tree!" He hissed. "Now!"

Kai scurried up the trunk with the dexterity of a squirrel, Rhaner mimicking his movements the next tree over. Echo took her place in another tree, some twelve feet away. In silence they watched, and waited.

"...next time for sure!" It was a man's voice. "We don't got enough food to go around, an' he's got the nerve to come beggin' like we'll take in his whole family!"

"Should've kept the daughters," another spoke up as they came into sight. "Been a while since I've been with something soft and warm, ṇō mērā kī matalaba hai (know what I mean)?"

"They was too skinny." The tallest of them spat, planting hands on his hips, looking around. "I ain't keen on feelin' like I'm perched in a tree."

Laughter echoed through the group, five rough looking, dirty, heavily armed men. Scavengers. Long hair, unwashed, camouflage fatigues, bandanas and assault rifles, they resembled the cliché twenty first century B-movie villains. Instead of moving on, the group stopped, converging together as if studying a map.

"Here," one of them said, pointing to something held in the middle of them. Rhaner stiffened.

"Let's have a little looksee then, lads. We won't want anyone thinkin' we're inhospitable, now do we?"

"Can't have that." Another grinned, showing several gaping holes were teeth had been.

"I can be right friendly, especially around girls," his fellow added, wiggling his eyes brows. "A game of hide an' seek makes me downright playful."

The apparent leader of the group stepped forward, and a jolt of fear went through Greer as the man looked around the small cluster of trees.

"Come out, come out wherever you are."

A quick look at Kai told him the boy was utterly petrified. Without moving, he mouthed a few words to calm his son, repeating them as frightened eyes turned to him. 'Be still. Be calm. We'll be alright. ? (yeah)' He watched his son swallow hard, glistening beads of sweat on his brow. Then Kai nodded. ''.

Good boy, Rhaner thought to himself, proud. Smart kid. Now the problem was, how to get away? When had Scavengers acquired sensor tech? How had they tapped into the satellite systems? Most importantly, how many more would be coming? Glancing over to where Echo perched comfortably in the high branches, their eyes met.

Studying him for a long moment, the android's head tilted and suddenly she smiled. It was the kind of expression his wife had given him numerous times through their years together. It said, 'it's okay. Everything's going to be alright'. To his utter astonishment and horror, she twisted around and dropped gracefully from the tree, like ripe fruit ready for harvesting.

Every eye turned her way as the android stood up, leisurely closing the distance between herself and the Scavengers. Her electric blue eyes landed on the leader.

"Hello. I like hide and seek. Shall we play?"