Flesh and Bone

Rising high around them, the rough, uneven mountain peaks cut into the midnight sky. With cloudless heavens and a bright moon, the landscape was silver and blue. A warm wind blew against Greer's cheeks, rifling through his hair in a way that reminded him of years long past when he did not have the cares he bore now. In the passenger seat next to him, Vera had been silent and still for nearly two hours. Her tears had run dry, and as he glanced over, he saw her still leaning against her palm, elbow on the open window frame.

It was weird how he could tell it was Vera, not Echo. There were subtle variations between their posture and expression, ones that Rhaner was surprised he could even recognize.

"Do you think I could have something to eat?" She asked finally, not bothering to move. "Or is starving me into submission a part of your plan?"

"You're hungry? Really?"

"Yes, really." It was a cutting tone, but again, Vera did not look at him.

Suddenly realizing he could eat something himself, Greer nodded.

"Sure. It's been a while for all of us."

They'd been traveling north through low foothills, so he carefully slowed the vehicle to a stop, switching off the engine. Kai was asleep in the back. Climbing out to stretch his legs and back, Rhaner yawned, looking up. Like milky gauze, the stars hung in the black sky, so many of them he couldn't focus on just one.

"Are you just going to stand there all night?"

Her voice cut through the tranquil moment, and Greer glanced at Vera, frowning.

"Can't you ever say anything nice, lady?"

"When the need arises, yes. But to you...why should I?"

Swearing under his breath, Rhaner chose not to answer, moving instead to the box of food. Pulling out a can of beans, bagged chips, nuts, candy bars and two bottles of water, he carried it back to the passenger side.

"Take your pick." Not sure what would happen, he watched her take the chips, nuts, and water. Opening a bag himself, Greer tried to keep a blank expression. In all his learning, he had never heard of an android eating or drinking. Obviously, Vera did not know she wasn't human, yet had all the normal human desires for rest, nourishment and water, but...was she designed to eat? Twisting the cap off her bottle, Vera glanced at him sideways.

"What are you staring at?"

"You."

"Why?"

"Curious."

"Creep." Putting the bottle to her lips, she took a long swallow then abruptly spat it out, coughing, roughly wiping the excess from her lips. "What is this?"

"What?" Glad he's stood to one side, Greer forced himself to hold a calm, uninterested tone. She sent a scathing look his direction.

"This stuff you try to pass off as water! It's tasteless!"

"Water is tasteless. That's kinda the point."

"No, I mean...it's...listen if this is your idea of a joke, it's not funny! What exactly are you trying to do to me?"

"Nothing, Vera. Try the nuts. Maybe you're just not in the mood for water right now. Something salty should help."

Ripping open the bag, she popped a few into her mouth, crunching, then spat them out as well, disgusted.

"That's like chewing rocks!" Glaring now, shoving the door open, she got out, staring menacingly at him. "What did you do to me? What's wrong with the food?"