Chapter Three

Rowan's POV

"Dad, can I talk to you?" I walked into the kitchen.

"Yeah?" Dad answers.

He's always in the kitchen when he's not working.

"Um, so Brandon Darrow..." I start to say, Dad furrowed his eyebrows. "He doesn't have a place to stay."

"What about his friends? Trevor? They're both friends, right?" Dad asked. "I heard he's turning 18 in a week, he can try to live on his own."

"No, dad. He doesn't want to live alone. Trevor doesn't have enough room in his house for another person to stay." I said.

It's true. I've been to Trevor's house before to meet my new step dad. They gave me a tour of his house and there's literally no room for another person. It's so cramped in there.

"So are you saying-

"He should live with us, dad. Brandon is a good person. Just because he got sent to prison, doesn't mean he's bad. They just mixed up the wrong person and sent Brandon instead. He's also a great friend too. We got the extra guest bedroom, an extra bathroom. Please, dad?" I begged.

Dad paused for a long time. I was starting to get the hint that he didn't want Brandon over. I sighed. "Never mind." I frowned, getting up.

"Fine." Dad says.

I turned back around. "Really?"

"Yeah. He can stay until he finds a good place to live." Dad said, sighing.

"Thank you." I smiled, hugging him.

I walked back to my room, grabbing my phone out of my pocket. I dialed Brandon's number, calling him.

"Hello?"

"Hey Brandon-

"This is Trevor. Brandon is dying his hair black again." Trevor says.

"Oh really? He's doing it by himself?" I asked.

"Yeah. We went to the store to pick up some black hair dye an hour ago and Brandon is already going all in." Trevor chuckled.

"Can I come over in a few minutes? And can I bring Elisia?" I asked.

"Yeah, of course. See you." Trevor says, and I hang up.

I texted Elisia, saying that we're going over to Brandon's. Elisia has a new truck, so she'll be picking me up. I got ready, putting on Brandon's hoodie again. I cuddled Fishy for a few minutes until Elisia arrived.

When am I going to tell Brandon? When's the right time to tell him that I'm the reason he got sent to prison?

I walked outside, getting in the truck. "Hey Elisia." I smiled.

"Hey. So we're going to Trevor's?" Elisia asked.

"Yeah. Brandon's dying his hair black again." I said.

"Oh. That's great." Elisia says, sounding off.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Brandon is acting like everything's fine." Elisia sighs.

"Well isn't everything fine? Brandon got out of-

"Everyone's forgetting about Ash. Who got shot- which is way worse than being in prison." Elisia raises her voice.

"I'm sorry- I didn't forget about him, okay?" I said, frowning.

It was silent for the rest of the car ride. I didn't mean to hurt Elisia. I didn't forget about Ash, I was just looking on the brighter side. I'm worried about Ash too, who knows if he can walk again.

I knocked on the door to Trevor's house. Trevor opens the door. "Hey guys."

"Hey." We both say, stepping in.

"Make yourself at home. Brandon is washing his hair right now." Trevor says.

We both nodded, sitting on the couch.

"I have some news." I said.

"I do too." Elisia says, playing with her bracelets.

"Good news?" Trevor asked.

"Bad news." Elisia mumbles.

"I have good news." I said.

"Well, I'm looking forward to hear both of them." Trevor says awkwardly.

I hear Brandon getting out of the bathroom. I've been wanting to use the bathroom since I got in Elisia's truck.

"I have to use the bathroom." I said.

They both nodded. I stood up and walked over to the bathroom, and I walked in, using the bathroom. I finished, washing my hands and leaving the bathroom. There, I bumped into a shirtless Brandon with black hair.

He smiles at me and I smirked. "You look nice."

"Thanks, I'm having an emo moment." Brandon smirked, putting on his shirt.

We both walked back to the living room, sitting down next to each other. Trevor and Elisia eyeing us.

"What?" Brandon asked.

"Nothing." Trevor smirked.

Elisia giggled a little. I gave her a look. "What?"

"Fine. You guys just like- walked in together and it looked like you guys did something in the bathroom." Elisia says.

Brandon and I started laughing. "We're only friends, nothing wouldn't happen like that." I said.

Brandon started to look uncomfortable. It's true, right? We're not together so I can say that.

"So what's the news, Rowan? The good news?" Trevor asked.

"Okay, so.." I looked at Brandon. "You can move in."

"Oh thank GOD I didn't want to deal with Trevor's annoying ass all day." Brandon jokes, putting his hand over his chest, making us laugh. Brandon moves closer, resting his head on my shoulder.

Elisia stops laughing first. "So um, I have the bad news. You guys probably won't care."

"We care." Trevor says.

"Is it Ash?" I asked.

"Yeah." Elisia says, looking down.

"Is he okay?" I asked, sitting up and making Brandon move his head away from my shoulder.

"So um, he can't walk anymore." Elisia frowns.

"What?" My heart stopped.

"He'll be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life. And it's all because he got... shot." Elisia says, tears slipping down her cheeks.

We all got up and had a group hug with Elisia. I can tell Elisia felt safe, even though she barely knows Trevor and Brandon. She knows we'll be here for her.