Chapter Ten

Sara was parched on the roof of the pack house

Sara was parched on the roof of the pack house. It had always been her favorite spot as a child. No one ever looked up so she got to witness the real people, the person they are when no one else is around.

Today was different though. She wasn't just watching her pack, she was watching the males and females Crowded around the front of the house.

Some seemed to glare at each other, while Some Seemed bord. They all were deffinately Uncomfortable being in another packs territory.

It was a bit comical now each shot nervous looks around them, watching for threats. Yet, not a Single one looked up and spotted her sitting in plain sight. She was even swinging her feel as She hung them off the edge.

After afew hours the group was becoming jittery, jumping at each sound, eyeballing each pack member that walked within twenty feet of them.

That's when the front door finally opened and Alpha's came out the front door. Sara couldn't see them from her perch that just so happened to be over the porch.

She watched as the old man filed off the porch and into her view. Gray hair and bald spots all around! She thought as they met the Waiting group and began leaving.

" Alpha Zachariah." A deep voice asked and she heard the male stop on the porch, the wood groaning as he was joined by another, this male larger.

"of course, Alpha." The male responded in a relaxed voice. Sara guessed it was Hunter he was speaking to, most Alpha's aren't that friendly with each other.

"You know the Alpha of this pack is dying... Well I would like you to take over this pack, merge it with yours."

"What? I can't." The shocked response surprised her. Why wouldn't he? Most Alphas were power hungry and would have jumped at the opportunity.

She was pretty sure Hunter had given him a questioning look because he continued after a pause.

"I can barely keep my pack together. You see, I have no mate." Sara frowned. What?

"What does that have to do with anything?" Hunter asked, voice dropping with contempt for this male.

"My pack still views me as a child. They respect my rule as Alpha because of my father but will not acknowledge me fully until I have taken a mate. "I must first be able to take care of my family before I can fully understand how to take care of a pack." Or so I was told after my father passed." A scuff came from below as Hunter echoed her thoughts.

"That's ridiculous. I have no problem caring for ALL of our kind and I have no mate." Sara covered her mouth to contain her gasp. So it was true, the High Alpha wasn't mated. Sara was sure that was a rumor, he was too hot not to be.

"I agree with you, it's stupid, but my pack..."

Hunter interrupted him with a growl. "If that is what you need to merge the packs then pick someone."

"It's not that easy." Another growl cut him off.

"Actually it is. If we must do it the old fashioned way, then fine. Not that I have time to play matchmaker," Sara covered her giggle at the idea. "The Alpha of this pack has two daughters, if you agree to take over the pack then I will arrange a mating."

Sara was shocked. She had known the pack would be given over, dissolved and merged, but an arranged mating... for either her or her sister.

Her heart pounded, holding her breath as she waited for the male's answer.

"And there is no one else?" He asked before a sigh. "Than if that's what you wish, High Alpha."

"I will have my brother contacted you when we have the details."

Half a second later a male strode off the porch. She couldn't see his face but his dark brown hair shined in the sun as he walked to meet the three people waiting for him. His body was lean and tall but not awkward or gangly. His steps were sure and powerful. He may have not been an Alpha long but he definitely gave off the vibe.

Sara screamed as she felt someone grab her ankle. She had forgotten where she was and that her feet were still dangling off the side of the roof.

"Did you enjoy ease dropping?" Hunter asked as he stepped off the porch and looked up at her.

His hands were on his hips as he waited for her to answer, his arms bulging with muscle. But it was his eyes that drew her, her breath catching. In the bright daylight his eyes glowed the color of the sun.

A growl rumbled through his chest drawing her from her daze of the wonder of his eyes.

"I... I.." she stuttered. Ah hell, "I was up here before you came out. Would have been a bit odd to just jump out of nowhere while you guys were talking."

"So you just sat there and listened?" She nodded in conformation. "Why are you up there, anyway?" He tilted his head gazing at her with a frown.

"I sit here all the time, I've been doing it since I was a kid." She smiled as her mind drifted to her childhood. This was her escape, no one ever looked here for her.

"You hiding from something?" He raised a brow when she shook her head. "Someone?"

Her face flushed red as she remembered he had come to her room, smelled Jay was in there and what they had done.

She had been avoiding him all week. Keeping to herself and out of places he frequently was, staying away from places she habitually visited, even taking extra chores so she had an excuse when he sought her out.

"Come down from there." Hunter directed and she looked around before she pushed herself, letting her drop, landing in a crouch, just at the bottom of the stairs.

When she rose from the ground she was met with a smiling Hunter, her breath froze. He was shocked and impressed but she didn't know that, too stunned by the beauty of his smile.

"I see you've had a lot of practice with that." He nodded upward.

"Yes, twisted my ankle a few times before I got it down." His chuckle warmed her chest and her cheeks. He was making her feel shy at his teasing. She had never spoken to anyone of her secret spot, and she wasn't sure why she was telling him now.

"You're a tough little thing," he mused, her face flushing darker causing him to chuckle. "Come on, Princess, let's grab something to eat and you can tell me about it, if you want." She gulped at his words, they were kind and sincere, and the way he said Princess was deep and held an edge of intimacy that wasn't there when Jay said it.

" She gulped at his words, they were kind and sincere, and the way he said Princess was deep and held an edge of intimacy that wasn't there when Jay said it

Now were getting to the good part. 🤩 hope you all enjoyed. I'll try not to take too long on the next chapter.