Chapter Eighteen

Sara couldn't stop shaking

It wasn't a "fear for your life" shaking. It was softer, less noticable to others. She felt it most when she exhaled.

Hunter had shook her. How could one kiss, shake her to the bone and still hours later?

The ghost of his kiss haunted her. Her mind felt scrambled. Her thoughts consumed by him. The High Alpha. Fear road her thoughts but the memory of the kiss pushed everything away.

She flinched at the sound of knuckles rasping on her door. She didn't move from her spot on the bed. She wasn't interested in talking to anyone. And unless they broke down the door they wouldn't get in without her letting them into her locked bedroom.

Her chin rested on her knees as she stared at the door, arms hugging her legs to her chest. Sill, hours later, she felt raw and exposed. In wolf form she would be curled into a tight ball, her face buried in her paws and tail. And probably whimpering.

The doorknob made a half turn before the lock stopped it. She really hoped it wasn't him.

"Come on Sara, we need to talk." Sam called from the other side of the door. Her chest loosend a bit before remembering why her sister wanted to speak with her.

She held completely still, listening to her sister grumble about her being stupid. She wanted to roll her eyes at the ignorance of her sister.

"I'm not mad, I just want to know why you did it." Her big sister called from the hall. The undertone of her voice said something different. It was a tone she was familiar with. The same one she had gotten for years while her sister blamed her for their mothers death. She tried to be nice, her words were nice, her face kind, most of the time. But Sam couldn't keep her emotions from her voice, or her eyes.

Sara closed her eyes. She was tired. Her body begged her to sleep as her mind grew heavy with her thoughts. She could sleep for days if she let herself.

Depression, thats what the doctor said when she explained her symptoms. But unlike humans, medicatioin didn't work. The doctor had hoped that her mind would heal itself from the trama, from the pain and damage like it did the rest of her body. But mental illness was more like cancer than an injury. It wasn't something that could heal by itself.

"Damnit Sara, why would you want to mate with an Alpha?" Sam huffed from the hall. A thump followed by the sound of something sliding against the door sounded. "An Alpha would be bad for you. You need someone less dominate. A Beta or warrior or Guard or something. Someone  with a soft heart."

A tear slipped down her face as she listened to her sister try to reason with her. Dispite the nice words her intention was clear. She did not want Sara to out-rank her. It hurt that her sister sill thought so little of her, selfishly trying to push her away from a chance at something new, something good.