two.

14 years ago

14 years ago.

Amanda was thirteen when she first met Luke Hemmings.

She was in her garden, reading Inheritance, when she heard a thud erupt from behind her, and a pubescent male-ish 'OW!'

When she turned around, facing the thick, white double gate that contained their property, nothing was to be seen. That was, until a pair of hands suddenly gripped onto the top of the gate, followed by a head that slowly emerged, revealing the face of a boy, who, by the looks of it, was struggling.

'Who are you?!' Amanda jumped to her feet, taking a few steps back.

The boy, who kept dipping out of her view, tried to say something, before gasping and deciding to shut up and hold on instead. Amanda realised that he had no footing on the other side of the gate, and cautiously walked towards it, reaching for the lock. The boy looked like he was around her age, and he didn't seem dangerous.

'Who are you, and why are you stalking me?' Amanda repeated, pushing open the door and walking out of the garden. It took the boy a few seconds to process what had happened, and he let go of his grip, stumbling as his feet touched the ground.

'I'm Luke.' He took a step closer to her and Amanda took the time to take in his features. He seemed familiar. Maybe one of the nerds who sat at the front of the class?

'I'm from your school.' He shrugged. A pink tinge spread across his cheeks as he realised how 'creepy' he looked, but he seemed to push that thought away, straightening up. 'We're in the same English class.'

A lightbulb flicked in the back of Amanda's brain. 'You're the boy that performed Wonderwall with his guitar in front of the entire school.'

'That's me.'

'You're good.'

Luke beamed, fully aware of his talents. He opened his chest, trying to make himself look more superior. 'My audiences are going to be massive, one day.'

'Why were you spying on me?' Amanda crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow at him. Luke frowned, clearly disappointed in the lack of awe she presented at the statement about his future.

'Because I like you.' He said, without faltering. Amanda's eyes widened. He liked her? A boy liked her? Why would he?

Trying to hide the incredulity she was feeling, Amanda scrunched her face up in disgust. 'That doesn't give you a right to spy on me.' She said. 'That's creepy.'

Luke shrugged, pursing his lips. 'I guess you're right, but I like watching you... do stuff.'

Amanda choked on her saliva, coughing in disbelief. 'Yuck!' She gagged. 'That's gross!'

Luke didn't seem to understand what he had just said and looked directly at her, unfazed. 'What?' He asked. 'I like watching you in your own bubble. I've wanted to be your friend for months.'

Amanda couldn't help but blush at his words. Even if he was a bit scrawny, and his fringe covered his eyebrows, she could tell he was... sorta? Cute.

'Well, Luke.' She said, blinking. 'Creeping on someone isn't the right way to make friends.'

Luke suddenly became interested in his feet, smiling sheepishly. 'I wasn't expecting to be caught.'

'How long have you been doing this?' Amanda asked.

'It doesn't matter.' Luke answered, quickly shaking it off.

'I could call the police and report a stalker.' Amanda threatened. 'Then they would find you and tell your mum.'

'Okay, sorry.' Luke said. 'A month, maybe? We live across the street from each other, I'm sorry.'

Amanda gasped. 'You could've just spoken to me!'

'There's no fun in that, though!' He whined, throwing his hands in the air. Amanda huffed. And here she was, thinking he was kind of cute.

'There's no fun in being a pervy stalker either.' She countered, narrowing her eyes.

'Fine.' Luke sighed, admitting defeat. 'I swear I'm sorry, okay? I had no bad intentions, I promise. Pinky promise.'

Amanda stayed quiet for a few moments, reflecting on the situation, before responding. 'Walk to school with me tomorrow, then. And sit with me in English.'

Luke's face lit up, and Amanda giggled, enjoying his reaction.

'Okay, I can DEFINITELY do that.' He said. 'What about lunch? Can I sit with you then? Can I play you a song I wrote? Can I-'

Amanda hushed him, shaking her head furiously. 'No! Otherwise everyone would think you're my boyfriend! We have to establish a base first.' She said, matter-of-factly.

'Right.' Luke replied, with a professional nod. 'A base. I can do that.'

Amanda gave him a smile, fuelling the awkward tension around them. It was getting darker, and the streetlights were beginning to flicker to life.

'I better go home.' Luke mumbled, breaking the uncomfortable silence between them.

'Wait.' She said. He furrowed his brows, looking confused. 'I would, actually, like to hear your song.'

Luke grinned, rocking on his heels and deciding what to say. 'I'm just- just gonna get my guitar, okay? Will you still be here? I'll be quick.'

Amanda laughed at his budding excitement. 'Yes, I'll be here.' She replied. Luke nodded and turned around, running across the road and disappearing into the house right opposite hers.

'I'll be right here.'

——————-

soon y'all will get the hang of how this book is gonna be set out, and i hope you find it interesting! i personally like switching between the past and the present, so soz woz hoz if u don't xoxoxoxox

love u all, tysm for the nice comments, don't forget to leave some more and VOTE! don't b silent <333

— epihphany