eight.

13 years ago

13 years ago.

And there he was. Amanda released the nail she was attacking from her mouth and waved at him, watching him walk her way.

Her first date. Was she supposed to feel this weird? Chrissy said dates were easy. She said they didn't mean much, and they weren't really much fun. So why was her heart seconds away from bursting from her chest?

And when did Luke get so much better looking? Amanda could've sworn he had grown taller since she last saw him.

Luke had asked her out on the last day of school, a couple days ago. They had been friends for at least a year, and Amanda was growing impatient. She had developed some sort of crush on this new best friend, and she worried that he had taken her entire 'establish a base' theory a bit too seriously. She had been proven wrong, and Luke finally popped the question every fourteen year old girl wanted to hear.

Luke wanted to go to a theme park, but Amanda had insisted going to the cinema. She was always thinking about what a first date would be like, and it was concluded that watching a movie was the best possible first date a couple could have. It saved you from so many awkward situations. If you didn't know how to speak to the other person, you needn't speak at all. You would watch the movie and you would go home. But, if you enjoyed the other's company, another date can just be arranged.

Of course, with Luke and Amanda's situation, it was different, because they had become so close. But she wanted to have a typical first date. And what's a better cliché than a movie?

'Hey.' He said, mirroring Amanda's nervousness. 'You came early.'

'I thought I'd check what was on.' She replied, fiddling with strands of her hair.

'What did you end up choosing?' He took a step closer towards Amanda, bursting the personal bubble she was once so conservative about. She felt her heart rate pick up, and not in a bad way.

Two can share a personal bubble.

'It's a Wonderful Life.' Amanda stated, anticipating Luke's reaction.

She didn't get it. Luke's ego was fighting to make an appearance, but he restrained himself and simply shrugged.

'Alright.' He said, reaching for his money. 'It's about time I watched it anyway, right?'

Amanda beamed at him, shocked by his response. Luke absolutely despised the thought of watching one of Frank Capra's finest. She always told him he'd love it, but he never fell into watching it with her.