Ch. 3

DEREK POV

"Stiles!" I called up the stairs "Stiles get down here the appointment is in 20 minutes"

"I'm not going" he shouted back down. I huffed out a sigh, throwing my head back. I loved him I really did, but he could be a little difficult at times. I threw down my jacket and keys climbing the stairs two at a time. He was still in our bed, he wasn't wearing a shirt and his body was tucked underneath the blankets "Stiles what are you doing?"

"God, I don't feel well. I've thrown up three times this morning- I wasn't anywhere near this nauseous with Caleb" I climbed up into the bed with him and he rolled over burying his face in my chest.

"I'm sorry, do you not want to go to the appointment?"

"I'll probably feel better later? Maybe we can check for a later time?"

"You got it" I rolled from the bed kissing his forehead, and grabbing his phone. I was opening it and stepping into the hall to make the call when I seen a message pop up on Stiles' phone. I clicked on it without thinking and seen there were over a hundred messages from this unknown number and the closer I looked the more I could see the messages were from Matt. Some were about Caleb, some were apologies and some were quite threatening.

"Der" Stiles called groggily from the room. I slipped his phone back into my pocket.

"Yes honey?"

"I'm sorry, could you make me some soup?"

I ran my fingers through his head watching him lean into the touch "Sure I'll make it on my way out"

"Where are you going?"

"Uh-I uh I told Jackson I would catch up with him for a little bit, unless you want me to stay"

"No- no you go. I'll probably just sleep"

"Okay" I kissed him goodbye. Once I made it out to the hall I pulled his phone back out and sent that number a message.

To Unknow: Meet me at the coffee house on maine

I pulled up outside and could see Matt sitting on a stool at the outside bar. I was gripping the steering wheel raging with anger, but trying to will myself to stay in the car. Something bad would happen if I got out of the car. I was reaching for the ignition to start the car again hoping to drive away when the image of Stiles stressing out about Matt popped in my head. And before I knew it I was out of the marching up to the coffee house. I tapped him on the shoulder, he barely had a chance to turn around completely before I was punching him square in the jar. He went down with a hard thud and a bloody nose.

"You leave Stiles alone or I won't be so easy next time"

STILES POV

Derek was gone for a while, and I didn't want to sound like a burden but I needed him. I couldn't find my phone so I reached for the house phone. And Derek's phone kept going to voicemail, so I tried Jackson.

"Hey buddy"

"Hey Sti, are you fat yet?" he joked and I found it in myself to laugh.

"Not quite. Hey why isn't Derek answering his phone?"

He shrugged "How should I know?"

"Oh well, he just said he was going to hang out with you for a bit"

"I haven't seen him all day. Want me to try him?" and as luck would have it I heard the rumble of the garage door opening which meant Derek was home.

"No thank you he just got back" I hung up the phone, and let my mind race with the worst possible theories. I let my hormones get the best of me and started crying. I never pegged Derek for a cheater, I mean Derek was the first to bring up this baby thing and he was already tired of me. I could hear him running up the steps and pulled up the comforter to wipe my face clean before he bounded into the room and onto the bed beside me "Hey. You were gone a while"

"Yeah I'm sorry I didn't expect to be gone so long" he started playing with my fingers with his head tucked in my chest.

"So how was Jackson?"

"Uh, he was good"

The hormones were back with vengeance and I was running to the bathroom sobbing out crocodile tears as I locked myself away. Derek was banging on the door "Hey what's the matter? Open the door"

"No I just... I-I just need to take a breather"

"Why?"

"Where were you Derek?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I called Jackson I know you weren't with him"

He sighed and I could hear him press his forehead against the bathroom door "Sti it's not what you think. Will you open the door please" I dried my face unlocking the door knob and he came right in hugging me close "I did something stupid" He whispered into my hair. I let him drag me back to the room and sit me down the mattress. He took the spot beside me and sat my phone on my lap.

"Why do you have my phone?"

"I was calling doctor Deaton and I seen the messages from Matt" he was looking down at his hands and that's when I seen the bruised knuckles. I took his hand in mine and rubbed it.

"What did you do Der?"

"I pretended to be you and invited him down to the coffee bar and I-I uh I hit him"

I stood with a surprising shout "Derek"

"Look I thought it was the right thing to do. I wanted to protect my family" Derek countered "And there were weeks worth of messages you never told me he was bothering you"

"I just figured he'd go away"

"And when he didn't you still didn't tell me"

"I'm sorry okay I thought I had it under control" I admitted sitting back beside him. His arm was on my shoulder pulling me in close "I'm sorry. I'm letting him tear us apart"

"No Sti. This is absolutely not your fault okay, It's his. But we can't let him win okay. I just think we need to get away for awhile. You, me, Caleb just a nice family vacation how about that?"

"That sounds nice"