Ch. 5

STILES POV

"I think I'm going to let Matt see Caleb" I finally admitted one night after climbing into bed.

"Excuse me?" Derek dropped his book "I mean you don't think this is something you should have talked to me about first, you're just going to go ahead with it. What happened to 'our son'? Or was that just a load of-"

"Hey! I'm trying to talk to you about it right now alright, you are Caleb's dad. Just listen please, before you jump off okay" I settled comfortably under the blanket before taking a deep breath. I needed Derek to understand "When he takes me to court he will try to drag me through the mud. HE knows me, the old me at least-I used to think he was the love of my life I told him everything" Derek looked away obviously not really wanting to hear that "Anyways he's going to use that against me. If we handle it ourselves we won't have to face the possibility of Matt winning the trial"

"Stiles-"

"Honey just let me talk to him, that's it"

He ran his hands exhaustively down his face "Okay but I am going to be there and it needs to be while Caleb is out of the house" I smiled kissing his cheek and climbing into his eyes. His eyes quickly turned dark with lust, it was a reward i think he deserved.

Derek kept putting it off after that. Every night using the excuse that he didn't want to talk about it, or that he needed to sleep on it for another night. I knew he didn't like Matt, the very mention of his name brought fire to his eyes. But I know he had a problem with all of this mainly because he had become Caleb's father, and now, simply because they shared the same DNA Matt could take him away. But I was not going to let that happen.

Laura had come to pick up Caleb, just like she had done every other Saturday, and Derek was in the kitchen preparing breakfast when the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it!" I started to shout, but Derek ignored me. I subtly began to run but we ended up there at the same time anyways "I'll get it" I tried, but he saw right through me.

"Who is it Stiles?"

"Listen we're just going to talk"

"Stiles" he warned with anger in his voice, but also a hint of sadness.

"Honey look a custody hearing is too much, please for me let's just talk"

He stared long and hard at the door knob before back at my eyes "He does one thing to piss me off and I'm throwing his ass out"

"Thank you" I opened the to find Matt standing there with a smirk on his face and I already didn't see this going well. Stepping over the threshold he just barley let me close the door before he was opening his mouth. He turned to face me still smiling.

"Hey beautiful"

"Stiles-" Derek just about growled in a warning before Matt was playfully throwing his hands up.

"Don't be feisty I could still file charges for that little punch"

"Well since we're throwing out threats how about we file for harassment. I'm sure Stiles has the hundreds of calls and text messages" the smile fell from his face, and he awkwardly slid his hands into his pockets in defeat "yeah that's what I thought"

"Okay everyone just calm down okay, we're here to be civil" Putting a calm hand on his chest I pushed Derek lightly onto the sofa, and from the corner of my eye I could see the look on Matt's face, almost like jealousy. But soon he took a seat and we were three men in a tension filled room "Look we want to hash this out without trials or cases. We want to offer a custody plan with you. I mean maybe just a couple afternoons at first, then we can see about staying the night and what not"

He sat slung in the chair like he care much to be there, which threw me off for a minute, his body language was not one of someone who was ready to put up a fight. I should have given it more consideration than I did "This isn't some joke is it?"

Derek rolled his eyes with a deep sigh, he still didn't quite seem on board "Oh God I wish it was"

"Look what do you say? I'm trying to think about my kid, I can't put him through this"

"Our kid" he said almost jokingly.

"Matt please" I began, fed up with him already "Just please, will you settle for this?"

"Mmmm" he thought about it smugly. Part of me felt as though he was doing this just to get under Derek's skin, and another part of me knew it was working  "Sure, okay"

"Alright, this is good" I rubbed my sweaty palms up and down my jeans "We'll meet again soon and figure out a schedule"

"I look forward to it" He said with a wink. I could feel Derek's blood boiling beside me and I quickly took hold of his wrist long enough for Matt to safely leave the home.

DEREK POV

I guess Stiles was right. The last thing I wanted was Caleb up in some courtroom all eyes on him. It just wasn't worth it. But I didn't like the alternative. Matt rubbed me the wrong way, for more reasons than one. I just knew he couldn't be trusted, he was going to do something to prove me right. Only thing was that I had to sit around and wait for it to happen.

Unfortunately, the time had come sooner than I had expected. And in the worst way.

I was coming back home from dropping off some chapters. I walked in to find Stiles pacing in the kitchen. From what I picked up he was on the phone with my mother "Alright thanks mom, I'll call you when I hear anything" he turned to me his eyes were still on his phone. He was hyperventilating, shaking, his eyes were red and puffy. I rushed over to him dropping the papers in my hands.

"Stiles! What's wrong?"

"Derek!" he grabbed hold of my arms and I could really feel how shaky he actually was "Caleb's school called they said he didn't show up this morning! You-you dropped him off right, I mean he sh-should be there"

"I walked him to his classroom like I do everyday" I said and Stiles stepped back running sweaty palms through his even sweatier hair "W-Wait what are you saying--he- he's missing?"

"Oh god"

"Stiles, please just calm down babe. We need clear minds, and more than anything shouldn't be worked up" I said, noticing his protective hand over his growing belly.

"DEREK! Our son is missing do not tell me to calm the fuck down alright!" he exploded, it was the first time he had ever gotten that angry, not just with me but in general. Which all made sense, our son was out there lost somewhere. And I guess he realized his anger too because he retreated "I-I'm sorry you're right I just-I-I need to calm... I need" he was holding onto the counter for support "I need to sit down-" the last words were barley leaving his mouth before he was hitting the ground. What the hell was happening?