Ch. 4

DEREK POV

Stiles was content to watch as the waves crashed the shore, while Caleb and I welcomed the treacherous waves swimming throughout them. He was leaning back on his elbows shades sitting on the tip of his nose. Since that day with Matt things had been better but Stiles was quiet. He wasn't himself. There was something on his mind but the last thing he'd do was share. I left Caleb in the sand as he began to dig a hole searching for shells. I seen the smile slowly etch it's way onto Stiles' face as I sped over and crashed into the sand by his side.

"All tired out I see?" he grinned.

"Nope. I've got plenty of energy left" And as I winked he playfully shoved at my shoulder "Is our little bean wreaking havoc on you or are you down to get some italian for dinner?"

He rubbed his growing belly giving it some thought "Italian sounds fine"

"Are you okay?" I found myself asking before the last word passed fully through his lips.

"You've seem to be asking me that alot lately"

"Well a lot has been happening, I just want to make sure you're 'okay' you know?" but as his lips had barley parted Caleb was wrapping his arms around my neck hanging off like a monkey and chanting for food.

After dinner Stiles had hurried off to the car as Caleb went to the bathroom for the sixth time that night,the kid couldn't hold his pee to save his life. He was singing incoherently to his song of the week before he stopped abruptly.

"You okay buddy?" he was silent until I heard the creak of the bathroom door and he walked out and to the sink "Caleb?"

"Is daddy okay papa? Is he mad at me? Or is he upset because I might have a little sister?" he asked all in one breath at he created a mass of bubbles.

"No daddy is fine" I smiled through it. But deep down the only thing that went through my mind was how bad things had to be for Caleb to question it.

Stiles came in the adjoining hotel room from putting Caleb in bed later that night. My book found it's way from the palm of my hands to the bedside table as he started to take of some of his layers.

"Are you okay?"

"You already asked me that today"

"True, but you never answered"

"What do you want me to say Derek?"

"Anything as long as it's the truth. I mean you went from being worried and constantly on edge about Matt, to being calm" he plopped down on the bed with a sigh. He had a hand protectively over his stomach and his head was locked on the floor, I let my hand fall over his as I took my place beside him "I'm just asking you to talk to me. You've never had a problem with that before"

And he sighed. It was one of those sighs that let you know it would be followed by something big and truthful "On the one hand I didn't have parents, and the not knowing always killed me the most. I just hate to think that in some weird way I'm doing that to Caleb. I never question that your his father, you're his everything. But what happens when one day he finds out about Matt and resents me. But on the other hand I know Matt, I know him and I can just feel that he's here for the wrong reason" and silence is what he was met with, I understood what he was saying and it cut deepest knowing he was probably considering Matt's proposition "Please. Please just say something"

I shrugged and tried to contain the anxiety coursing through my veins and causing my heart to rattle against my ribcage and physically shake my core "I'm behind whatever you choose"

He offered a small smile and wrapped his fingers tightly around mine. My heart was thumping in my ears as I waited to hear his next words. He tilted my head by my chin locking eyes. And perhaps he knew about the protest rallying against my chest, after all he did know me best, because next thing I knew he was pecking my lips and pulling back to smile "You are Caleb's father Derek. I guess it took me saying all of that out loud to hear how crazy I sounded"

"Are you sure? I mea-"

"Yes I'm sure"I smiled as he stood from the bed "Caleb is sleeping"

"Yeah I know" I said matter of factly "What's that have to do with anything?"

"Well I am about to shower, and you're fully welcomed to join" the smile on his face was devilish as he undressed and trailed off to the bathroom.

STILES POV

The next day I woke up with Derek's hands resting protectively on my belly, and a pair of small feet digging into my back. Sometime during the night Caleb had crept from the depths of his room and wiggled into our bed. I laughed at the two and shrugged it off. It took me a second to remember where I was, and once I did It brought joy to think about the open buffet in the lobby and how I didn't have to get up to cook and breakfast. I was all set to close my eyes and drift off for a few more hours when a familiar feeling lurched from the depths of my belly then up my throat and before I knew it I was out of the bed and hurling myself over the toilet.

I was there mere seconds before Derek came sleepily around the corner with a glass a water, and for a second I wondered how he'd done it so fast.

"Thanks" I said taking it from his hold.

"Of course"

He leaned in to kiss me as I finished chugging the water "I should brush my teeth first" and at the least second he swerved his head and settled with a kiss to the forehead. I grinned and went to the other room to find my toothbrush when my laptop dinged. I let my curiosity wander as usual and diverted to see the notification.

"I thought this was a tech free vacation. Remember we listened to Caleb throw a tantrum for two hours because he couldn't bring his tablet"

"I had to input grades"

He smiled with a scoff and the harsh brush of air hit the back of my neck and I knew he was peering over my shoulder "Well it looks like you're reading your email not grading papers" he said matter of factly.

"It's from Matt" I said frozen and as monotone as ever. I could physically feel the smile leave his face as he knelt down beside me. My eyes scanned the email trying to comprehend it but my mind was racing so much as I did, it took awhile to understand what was happening. It wasn't until the hundredth time I finally understood "He's taking me to court over Caleb"