NINE

DAY TEN: ???.

“I fucked up, hyung.”

Mark looked up at the voice, and saw Donghyuck walking over to him, on the verge of tears.

Mark wasn’t even surprised — Jeno had told him all about the phone call and the way Donghyuck shouted ‘fuck’ afterwards that resulted in their neighbours calling in if they were doing okay. Even though he should be feeling bad for his dongsaeng, Mark just couldn’t. He knew Donghyuck deserved it.

“I can read it all over your face,” Mark rolled his eyes. He decided to pretend he didn’t know what happened, looking down at the notebook he was scribbling his lyrics on. “What happened now?”

“I’m a fucking idiot,” Donghyuck hissed through his gritted teeth. “I really fucked up. Jiha hates me now.”

Mark gave Donghyuck a poker face. We been knew. “Why does she hate you exactly?” the older fawned confusion, signalling the younger to occupy the seat next to his. Donghyuck complied instantly.

“I was ignoring her. You know about the entire thing about her leaving, right?” Donghyuck asked, nervously tapping his fingers against his lap. “Well, I just thought — it’s kinda stupid, but — I thought ignoring her would hurt me less. I just can’t bear with the thought of her leaving.”

“Donghyuck, that’s selfish.”

“Geez, just rub it in more, why don’t you.”

Mark picked up his notebook and lightly smacked his dongsaeng’s head with it. “I’m serious. That’s selfish. You should’ve just thought of what Jiha would feel before you thought about how it would benefit you.”

Donghyuck hissed and rubbed the sore spot on his head. “I knew that but I did it anyways, and I regret it hyung,” he said almost desperately. “I really do.”

“Idiot,” Mark sighed heavily.

He’s not very good at these things usually — love lives and whatnot — but even someone as inexperienced as Mark Lee knew what you should do in a situation like this. “Apologize to Jiha then. We can’t bear to hear you whining anymore.”

“She hates me. She won’t even spare me a glance, let alone answer my phone call.”

“WHO SAID YOU’LL BE DOING IT ON THE PHONE?”