The Alpha Swap

ALLY

I was a hypocrite.

Sorry, I am a hypocrite.

I am a very hypocritical person.

I never thought I was.

Well, I technically still had trouble admitting that I was.

I mean, I didn't exactly wish to admit that I was a person who could not take my own advice when I spent the majority of my time giving it to other people despite the fact that they did not particularly wish to hear it.

I mean, if Claire had made the same mistake as I did, I would have told her it was everything BUT her own fault.

But this was my fault.

They had an eight year old boy; my fault.

They had a young woman; my fault.

They had John; again, all my fault.

They had Luke; ... Again, completely and utterly my fault.

I couldn't quite decide which was worse; them having an eight year old, or my soul mate.

Quite the Alpha female I was turning out to be, huh?

"Duck!"

I turned my head just in time to watch the world fly by and a blur of green as I was tackled from behind. My body hit the ground with a resounding 'Uumph'.

"Are you INSANE Ally?" Emily screeched, jumping back to her feet. "That could have killed you! We're throwing bricks at you, and you chose now, of all times, to completely zone out on us?"

"Sorry," I mumbled, straightening up. "I wasn't thinking."

"Apparently you were," she remarked, shaking her head. "I thought you were crazy to suggest an immediate planned attack, but I agreed. I believed you to be nuts to ask for training, today, of all days. And five hours before the raid. But again, I agreed. And then, you decide my training time would be better spent with you daydreaming? Oh hell no. You can do that on your own time; preferably not tomorrow though, seeing as Luke is going to kill me if he even finds out I threw a brick at you!"

"He'll kill you when he realizes you let Ally come after the rogues," Jack muttered from his place against a tree. Emily threw him an irritated glance.

"He'll kill you before he kills me," she argued. "I'm his sister, and you're letting me go without argument. Poor excuse for a mate."

"Hey, you wait just a minute," Jack growled, darting forward with a snarl. He pinned her back against the bark of an oak tree, effectively shutting me out of the discussion. "I'm only letting you go, because I know if I don't you'll only hate me more. As it is, I already planned to keep a close eye on you. Your pride and your stupid ego would probably get you killed!"

Hmm, this was like those romantic drama's Claire was so in love with. I knew I should probably leave them to argue in private; however, as far as they knew, I was already gone.

I'll leave as soon as things get heated, I decided, settling back with my legs folded Kindergarten style.

"Yeah," Emily scoffed, "Like you could do much anyways. You're weak," she spat. I watched the muscles tense in Jack's back as he skewered her with his very intense, slightly frightening eyes. His right arm slowly raised up, in a method I knew was not meant to frighten or alarm, and I watched with wide eyes as Emily flinched.

Jack froze.

"You... You really thought-think... You thought I would hit you?" He stammered, taking an immediate shaky step back as the anger returned. "Why the HELL would you think I would ever hit you? I have never raised a hand to a woman, much less my mate!" he hissed, moving to pin her against the tree. "Maybe I should just treat you how you expect to be treated! Would that make you feel better? That you were right about me? Because you aren't. It's push, push, push in the other direction and I put up with it. I put up with the thought that I wasn't good enough, that I was worthless, that you would never want me. I held on to the hope that I could win you over eventually, but I'm DONE. I tried my fucking best, but I got treated as a worthless SOB. Yeah, maybe I have an alcoholic for a father, and maybe my mother has a pot fetish, and maybe I'm not as rich as you, or as important in this thing called life. I knew you were frigid, but I never pegged you as a superficial bitch."