Chapter 9

"Hey Nick, I gotta ask you this?"Brian asked.

"Yeah?"

"How come I can't touch you, and you can't touch me in this dream- But in that other dream where you look like you the Stay Puff Toilet Paper Boy, you were as solid as me?"

"That's because Chiros controls that dream. He's much stronger than I am. I can barely hold this together, and now you want touch added? And you guys call me the brat!"

"Aw shut up,"Brian said, "I wish I could smack you like I normally would."

"You'll get to do that in a minute,"Nick said his voice more distant.

"Nick?"

"Sorry,"Nick was louder this time, "We have to hurry!"

Brian followed Nick's ghostly form around halls and twists and turns, Brian had never been through, until they reached one particularly dark scary hallway, with an odd mist coming from it,"Let me guess. This way!"

Nick couldn't laugh at Brian's joke, he looked straight up terrified for Brian's sake,"This is as far as I can take you. It's not too late, you can still turn back! I can tell you how to get out!"

"I'm getting you guys!"Brian said firmly,"As Kevin said before, we leave this place all togther."

Nick's form began flickered in and out, Nick looked off toward the gloomy hallway, his eyes wide,"Oh no..."

"What? What's wrong? What's happening Nick?!"

"I have to go! I can't hold this and the other dream anymore, Chiros will know! You can find your own way from here, can't you?"

Brian looked to Nick,"You're leaving? You can't!"

"Just go straight,"Nick said softly, his image slowly fading.

"Nick, you can't just go and leave man!"Brian said getting whiny.

"Chiros can smell your fear. Don't give him a reason to come after you right away. Remember, your dreams are real here..."

Nick was gone. Brian was alone, again! Brian wiped his face and let out a breath. He had to calm down. He chose to come this way, and now he had to follow through. They were counting on him! Once he had slowed his pulse rate and his breathing, he slowly but surely began to walk down the hallway. He was careful not to make any loud noises. At the end of the hall was a black mist and a pad locked door. Brian almost groaned, how was he supposed to get through this? Where was Nick when he needed him? But then... Brian looked at the padlock, "dreams are real," Nick's whisper tickled in his ear, then he saw the key. Brian reached out to take it in his hand,"Thanks Nick."

Brian entered the room silently, leaving the door open a crack. He tucked the key into his one good pocket and prayed it would stay there until he got ready to use it again, if he had too. The room was lit in an odd light. Brian ducked the low ceiling of the room, until he came into a high ceilinged room. There were five beds, four were occupied, by Kevin, A.J.,Howie, and Nick. Brian had done it! He had found them! Brian tried to run to the beds, but something was stopping him. He heard the laughter, that maniacal laughter...

Brian turned to face Chiros. He had lost his bus driver apparel and was now wearing a long black robe. He held a large scepter and he was still puffing on that cigar,"So you have come to me, though I do not quite know how you found my lair."