Chapter One

Note: This contains BL.

Rei beckoned the child closer, a gentle smile welcoming him.

Seeming entranced, the child moved closer. He wore a daze expression, his dark eyes sparkling with naive innocence.

When the child was within arms reach, Rei drifted closer and held out a slim hand. His every move was full of elegance which matched his peerless appearance. Most adults couldn’t resist his attention, let alone a small child.

“Son, don’t touch him!”

Rei's eyes suddenly dulled, and his hand hovering mid-air fell to his side, the sleeve of his silken red robe covering the fair skin that had been peeking through.

So close yet so far.

A burly man entered the surroundings and glared fiercely at Rei. His eyes were full of accusations as he grabbed the boys hand and forcefully dragged him away from the edge of the pond.

“Didn't I tell you never to come here?! This place is is dangerous.” he reprimanded the boy loudly enough for the entire world to hear, let alone the loitering Rei.

The boy glanced at Rei, who had returned to a lotus position as he watched the father-son pair with obvious disinterest. It was a huge contrast to the gentle smile he wore a second ago.

“But...he looked lonely.” Murmured the boy sorrowfully.

Before Rei could appreciate the boys sentiments, the burly man interrupted with a few words that ruined the mood.

“He was tricking you.”

The boy appeared confused, “Why would he trick me?”

The burly man threw a venomous gaze in Reis direction. His gloomy reply turned the boys complexion stark white.

“To devour your soul.”

Rei smiled wryly.

Even though it was the truth; did he have to scare the child so? Look at the poor kid. He was sure to conjure up nightmares for the rest of his life, all bearing his angelic face.

The boy allowed himself to be dragged away by his father and never looked back.

Rei felt it was a pity but he didn’t mull over the loss any longer because more visitors had arrived.

His obsidian eyes moved to a patch of woods that was unmoved by the winds.

When it seemed nothing would happen, three figures suddenly appeared and stumbled into the clearing amongst a flash of bright white light.

“Fuck, that bastard set up a teleportation array!” cursed a robed man, his pale face peeking through the hood of his robe.

“Thanks to you, Idiot.” Came a woman’s biting cold voice.

“What? You sure have a lot to say for-“
The trio suddenly froze.

Three pairs of eyes narrowed on the young man who was hovering above the pond, calmly watching them with somewhat interest.

Rei was wondering what could have caused these visitors to be shocked when he noticed their gazes piercing into him. He raised his brow and a comely smile graced his face.

If he could talk, he’d welcome the trio in a sweet voice.

“Who the fuck?”

The third companion, a youth of elven decent, had been silently observing Rei when he appeared to discover something important and excitedly spoke up.

“The Untitled boss! He has to be! An S-level apparatus that appears in random locations around Hua Mountain Range. Named after the destructive power he wields, The Untitled is harmless unless purposely engaged in battle.”

“This is The Untitled?” The robed man scoffed at the youths words.

He arrogantly brandished a piece of twisted wood, his actions meant to inject fear into others.

Rei thought the guy had a problem with his hands, and felt a little pity since he was born without problems.

“He doesn’t look like much to me.” Said the robed man.

Their other companion, a well-endowed woman wearing slivers of chain metal armour that barely covered her parts, rolled her eyes.
She said mockingly, “He’s an level S-level boss and you’re a level 30 summoning mage. Don’t kid yourself.”

The woman’s eyes narrowed as she added, “I praise the developer who created this master piece.”

The robed man ignored the woman, eying Rei up and down with obvious greed.

He licked his lips while saying, “I heard if you defeated an S-level boss, you’d get countless treasure.”

The elf tore his admiring gaze from Rei’s angelic face and stared at the robed man with disdain.

“If it were that easy to defeat an S-level boss and obtain the treasure, then everyone would have a piece of it by now. But the game has been out for ten years already yet less than ten players have actually defeated an S-level boss let alone obtain a piece of its treasure. Besides,” the youth stared at Rei again, now possessing a rather complex look.

“What makes The Untitled so dangerous isn’t his actual strength, but his ability to fool others. His nickname amongst the Elite players is Incubus for a reason.”

Hearing the latter, the robed man finally looked disheartened.

“Then, why is he called The Untitled?”

The Elf shrugged, “No one knows except for the guy who developed him. He’s rarely seen around the Map and when he is discovered, it’s usually by lower players who wouldn’t dare to attack him. By the time an Elite player is notified, his location would have changed.”

“So...we can’t take him?”

“Unless you want to die instantaneously and loose your current equipment, then no.” Replied the elf bluntly.

After further discussing about Rei, whom listened without qualms, the trio decided not to “Launch an Attack” and only alert the “World Chat” of his current appearance. Whatever that meant, Rei couldn’t care less.

Rei tilted his head as he watched the three disappear from view, his pale gaze lingering on the robed man who was obviously disappointed with leaving behind the so called “Treasure”

This wasn’t the first time Rei had encountered such strange entities.
Since he could remember, there had been eight others before them. Each had their own quirks and special traits but they all shared what Rei called a "Halo" that encased their bodies.

Unlike the father-son duo he had met with earlier, these people we’re obviously different.

They felt entirely foreign.

However, Rei couldn’t point out what exactly was different.

A light abruptly flashed within Rei's eyes.

It was at this point he bore his first trace of awareness.