Chapter Two

After the trio departed, Rei sank below the ponds surface to recover his vitality in peace.

When he recovered his vitality, he'd return to the surface again and hunt for souls to devour.

Every time he re-emerged his location would have changed. As the Pond was his prison for as long as he could remember, he would never questioned this occurrence. He had no right nor would he received a proper answer.

However, today it was different for him.

He actually broke his usual pattern.

Instead of waiting for someone to come to him, he wanted to go to them.

Rei floated to the edge of the pond, looking up and down without any idea as to what he was looking for. His obsidian eyes flashed a strange light as a gentle breeze ruffled his midnight black hair, the silky strands floating around his face that could make even a god fall. It was carved to life using such delicacy and precision that one couldn’t help but marvel.

Rei calmly raised his hand and pressed it forward but he was met with resistance. He couldn’t see what had stopped him but he could feel it. It was like walking into a “Brick Wall”. Only this “Brick Wall” was seemingly impenetrable.

Rei appeared thoughtful.

Since this was the first time he had done anything like this, he didn’t know what to expect. He repeated his actions a few more times but in different locations while using a few objects he had collected over the years.

The so called "Treasure" mentioned by the Trio was the remnants of the people Rei had devoured since imprisonment. In truth, it was an pile of junk to this S-level Boss.

A few hours had passed and Rei finally returned to the centre of the pond, taking up a lotus position again. His eyes drifted close and serenity smoothed out his face.

***

In the following days, Rei continued to defy the norm.

One particular day, he dragged a large iron sword from the depths of the pond, injected it with a bit of his “Spiritual sense” and sent it flying towards the “Brick Wall”.

However, something strange happened.

Instead of sending out sparks or rebounding, the sword simply disappeared.

Rei thought for a bit before sinking below the pond and retrieving another object to test out.

But, he found something far more interesting.

The large iron sword had reappeared in the depths of the pond.

Without hesitation, he dragged the sword out again but he didn’t send it flying.

Instead, he floated to the edge and raised the sword using his two hands before swiftly and effortlessly bringing it down on the “Brick Wall”

Unfortunately, the sword didn’t disappear this time and it was met with resistance.

Rei stepped back, his face unmoved by this discovery.

Despite changing his usual routine of luring prey into his embrace, his expression or emotions didn’t fluctuate too much. He could insert a face full of smiles, he could look distressed or disinterested but that was all. It wasn’t like he was doing this on purpose, but he couldn’t find the right “emotion” to project at times. He also didn’t understand what he was “feeling” right now.

Rei threw the sword forward and watched it disappear before returning to the centre of the pond and sitting in a lotus position.

The following days were long and full of many discoveries but to Rei; it all felt the same.

Rei raised his hand and pressed outwards. He was met with the same resistance.

A hint of “frustration” appeared on his face. It was the first “real” emotion he had expressed. It was a shame no one was present to witness this minute change.

When Rei had tried every method he could think of to break through this resistance; another visitor had come to see him.

The timing couldn’t have been better as a sudden thought arose in Reis head.

The visitor was of Faery decent. She had delicate features and a dainty body that flittered around with crystalline wings. She was roughly the size if Rei's head and bore a face closely resembling a Elf if they mated with a human.

Whenever Rei encountered other people or creatures, he'd usually be meditating in the centre of the pond. If he was especially bored, he’d use tricks to lure a prey into his embrace before devouring their soul and leaving a thin carcass. Eight out of ten times he would succeed.

Unfortunately, Rei wasn’t his usual self today.

The Faery curiously eyed Rei whom hovered listlessly at the edge of the pond. After a very brief assessment, she fluttered closer of her own accord.

“Who are you?” she asked, her voice feather light and airy.

Seeing he didn’t reply, the Faery didn’t appear bothered. She merely moved onto another topic.

Faeries of Hua Mountain Range are well know for their patience but only someone who had actually met them would understand how immense it truly is.

This was the first time Rei was conversing with another person, let alone a Faery. He didn’t know how to react.

“I have come to find my pet, have you seen him by chance?”

Rei didn’t answer, opting to stare blankly at the Faery conversing one-sidedly with him.

“His name is Bo. I named him after my favourite book character because he is really good at Jumping.”

The faery then sighed, “Unfortunately, he was taken by a very nasty human.”

Rei raised his hand toward the Faery, whom unknowingly moved within his reach. But he was met by resistance a hair breadth from touching her doll-like face and lowered his hand.

The faery noticed his strange actions, cocking her head in confusion as she asked. “Brother, what’s wrong?”

The Faery wasn’t stupid. She quickly put two and two together.

“You’re trapped? Oh dear, who could do such a thing to you! Those horrid people.”

Whether it was a blessing or not, Faeries had one obvious weakness. They were very susceptible to natural beauty.

And Rei could be considered the epitome of beauty.

A light bulb seeming to go off in her head, the Faery then excitedly proclaimed.

“I know! If I free you from this place, can you help find my pet? What do you say? It’s a fair deal, right?”

Unbeknownst to the Faery, a red light had flashed above her head the moment she sent out this offer.

Rei wouldn’t have seen it hadn’t he been looking at her closely. The light was faint but it grew brighter and brighter the more he focused on it.

For some reason, Rei felt this red light was the key to the “Brick Wall”

“Is it a deal?” asked the Faery patiently.

Rei nodded and the red light suddenly turned green – flashing like a Halo above the Faery's head.