Chapter Eight

Note: This story is unedited.

Rei lowered his head. He gazed at the slender arm hanging loosely around his waist. He felt the weight of it trying to drag him down. His eyes slowly moved along the length of the arm before connecting it to Ari's charming face perched on his shoulder. His face was currently graced with an enticing smile.

Rei didn't ask why Ari was suddenly clinging to him. He removed the arm hanging onto his waist and shifted away so they weren't touching in the slightest.

He said, "You're heavy."

Despite being rejected, Ari still laughed without trouble. He was clearly amused by Rei's reaction. With the same slender arm, he reached out and dragged Rei closer so their shoulders were lightly touching as they walked. However, he didn't do anything else, so Rei had no reason to move away again.

"Since we're companions, we must get used to each others presence." Ari explained.

Rei glanced at him but made no further comment. His silence was met by more laughter.

"Lets start by sleeping together. I heard you only feel closer to someone when you share a bed together."

Only Rei could remain calm after hearing such shameless words. Though, it did "baffle" him as to how he'd managed to pick up such a scourge.

"Ah, we're here." Said Ari.

Outside a small storefront, a sign swayed under a light breeze. Pictured on the sign was an elephant drinking from a bronze teapot. 

The Herbal Elephant was a store that seemed to dabble in Alchemy. It had been some time since Rei had met an Alchemist on even grounds. The last Alchemist he'd met was a pile of bones.

Inside the store were shelves lined with bottles and jars holding suspicious liquids. To the far end was a small counter and perched behind it was an old man without an ounce of color in his hair.

Rei stared at the old man leaning precariously on a wooden stool. A bell had rang upon their arrival but the old man hadn't reacted. His eyes remained closed without a single twitch in response.

Rei suspected he'd passed away in his sleep.

"Wait here."

Ari walked behind the counter and disappeared through a beaded curtain. At first glance nothing seemed different about him. He still wore his usual smile and his entire being was brimming with arrogance, making it hard for others to approach him willingly.

However, Rei was quite good at reading moods. The second they entered the store, Ari's attitude had grown increasingly serious. If he hadn't told Rei they were meeting a friend before hand, he would have thought they were meeting an enemy instead.

When Ari returned, his white robes were fluttering behind him as if riding along the wind and his hair flowed down his back like a silk curtain.

Rei had grown accustomed to his blinding beauty. His focus narrowed on the small child trailing behind Ari.

The child didn't have an outstanding appearance. Her face was puffy and round, and her brown eyes were narrow slits. If she smiled, they would disappear into the folds of her face.

However, the child wore a very a serious expression unsuited of her age.

When the child lay eyes on Rei, her entire posture had stiffened. She suddenly retreated behind the counter and took an defensive stance.

"I can't help you," She said.

Her refusal was blunt but it only made the smile on Ari's face grow to frightening heights.