Chapter Three

“Brother, this barrier is...strange.” murmured the Faery. Her little golden hands pressed against the invisible “Brick Wall”, meeting with resistance.

Rei nodded his agreement.

Then, he raised his hand and sent an iron sword in the Faery’s direction. It cut through the air in a smooth arch, heading right towards the space between her brows.

The Faery’s eyes widened with surprise then fear. She wanted to dive out of the way, but she hadn’t reacted in time.

Besides, Rei was too fast and efficient; even if she managed to narrowly save her hide, she’d still be heavily injured.

Fortunately, the worries reflected on her small face were for naught. The sword disappeared before reaching between her eyes.

“W-where?”

Rei sank below the surface of the pond and returned a moment later with a familiar iron sword in tow.

The Faery was left stunned, and completely forgot her earlier worries.

“A magic array?” she asked.

Rei shook his head. If it were a magic array, it wouldn’t differentiate between inanimate objects and the living.

If by chance it were a magic array, then it would be a hybrid...

However, Rei had never heard of such magic existing in this world nor has he met anyone who could create it, and he had been around for a lengthy time.

“Such a mystery! How am I supposed to get you out then?”

The faery lowered her head in dejection.

The latter words bothered Rei too, however, for a completely different reason. The faery was unlike the trio he met earlier, and when he thought she was like that father-son duo, he found this speculation was also incorrect.

The “Brick Wall” didn’t just work to keep him in; it also worked to keep others out.

The Faery suddenly perked up before hesitating with her following words, “Oh, there...”

Seeing the “confusion” on Rei's face, the Faery's face turned a shade of pink as she slowly explained, “Earlier, I had chanced upon a group of merchants. They were camped nearby but I didn’t approach them because...well, there were too many.”

Rei came to a realization. While a Faery of Hua Mountain may appear as carefree and whimsical characters, they aren’t air heads.

In fact, they were rather sensitive to certain things. They could sense imminent danger before it arrived and they could read a person’s character for it’s entire worth.

Unfortunately, this made them very valuable to hunters and poachers as they were highly sort after as “Pets” for nobles or higher deities.

After receiving an understanding nod from Rei, the Faery continued speaking with more upbeat.

“Anyway, as I was passing I happened to spy the goods they were transporting in a sealed cage...”

The Faery stared Rei in the eye.

“It was a Deity.”

When Rei remained unmoved, the Faery added. “I heard a Deity are Masters at breaking Arrays.”

Rei blinked.

“Its risky but if it’s for brother...”

Seeming to make up her mind, the Faery puffed out her chest, donning a heroic look.

“Brother, I won’t be long.”

Before Rei could make sense of her words, The Faery had already darted into the surrounding forest and disappeared from view.

What was she going to do with that Deity? She couldn’t possibly think he would...help?

This baffling thought stayed with Rei until the Faery returned with the “Deity” in tow.

Rei immediately sensed something different about him, and raised his guard.

“Elder brother, I only have one request.”

A bright red light appeared above the Faery’s head. It was far more distinct than the last but it wasn’t meant for Rei this time.

The light turned a hazy green when the man languidly replied.

“What do you request?”

The Faery’s eyes lit up and she pointed at Rei who hovered nearby, his obsidian eyes rooted to the other man with traces of “Doubt” and “Confusion”

“Break this brother out! How about it?!”

From the beginning, the man had his eyes poised on Rei. His pair of azure eyes glinted dangerously but the Faery never saw this as his vividly handsome face was cloaked in a pure smile.

“Sure,” he said.

The green light flashed before fading like smoke into the serene background.

“Elder brother, you are the best!”

“Please, call me Ari.”

Handsome couldn’t even begin to describe this man. His face was flawlessly structured, the arches high in all the right places and the eyes tapered to give a sharp appeal. His flowing white hair matched the cleanliness of his silky white robes, and his broad shoulders and lean figure were finely accentuated, hinting at the raw inner power he possessed.

Even the Faery couldn’t help but steal covert glances of the man. Compared to Rei, this man was probably the only one who could compete on even grounds.

His entire being was sinful.

Ari stared at the air surrounding the pond before waving his hand and sending a white light to attack the “Brick Wall”. He didn’t do much but Rei immediately felt the change. After all, this prison was closely connected to him.

His “Soul” trembled and something deep within him snapped, making him fall downward in a moment of weakness.

A figure suddenly flashed over, the streak of white leaving a faint after image in the air.

Rei felt a pair of arms capture him.

Through the pain that wracked Rei's body, a pleased smile greeted him but he didn’t feel moved.

“Amazing!”

The Faery abruptly exclaimed, her excitement unable to be controlled as she praised Ari and clapped enthusiastically.

“I knew you could do it! But... how did you do it?”

Ari chuckled as a faint light flickering in the depths of his eyes.

He said, “I’ve had plenty of practise.”

Rei heard the underlying tones in Ari’s words but couldn’t make sense of it. Anyway, he had more important matters to attend too.

Once his strength returned, which was within seconds, Rei disappeared from Ari's arms and reappeared near the edge of the pond.

However, this time he hovered on the other side.

His body slowly lowered and his booted feet touched the ground that taunted him for countless years.

Rei spun around and faced the two people who were quietly watching him with interest and amusement.

A smile suddenly broke out on his face, adding a foreign charm to his dark appeal. He felt this was the most fitting expression to express right now.

Yet, this charm was nothing in the face of the melodious sound that left his mouth. Even Ari showed a touched expression, though brief.

“It has been so long.”