Half Red Soul

Maya Igorashi P.O.V

I'm walking down the halls of the DWMA. I'm an assistant for Lord Death. He often places me in classrooms as a teacher's assistant to learn some of the techniques for the young weapons and meisters. I'm a weapon but Lord Death isn't my meister. That title goes to Professor Stein. He's been my meister for three years now. I'm rather similar to a student here. Her name is Tsubaki. I can take on different forms of weapons. Unlike the young student, I can decide not to take on singular forms. My body can split into two and create dual wielding swords or a sword and shield. I can also change into a dagger and cloak that enhances the normal human abilities, which really comes in handy with Stein. I can decide to take on singular forms but I can only change into a basic death scythe. I decided to make my death scythe form look like one from a show I like watching. However, in the show, the meisters call themselves Shinigamis. The weapons don't have human forms. Anyhow, I like the character known as Undertaker. He kind of reminded me of Stein. I made myself into a scythe that Undertaker uses. I think Stein likes that form too.

I was told to take some forms to Stein for his class. I walked in the classroom to see my, 'brilliant' meister about to dissect an endangered bird. Stein looked over at me.

"Ah Maya. I see you brought those forms I've requested." he said with a scalpel in his hand and that crazy yet curious look in his eye when he's about to experiment.

"How many of those birds are left?" I asked monotonously.

"Including this one, about fifty." he replied casually. I put the papers on the desk and picked up the bird. The poor thing is shaking in my arms. It's practically clinging onto me. I carried the birds towards the window.I opened the window and let it fly out. "Hey!" yelled Stein, "Do you have any idea how long it took me to catch that bird." I turned around and glared at Stein. I saw him flinch. I usually hear students talk about how their scared of Stein. I'm probably the only person who isn't. Even his ex-weapon, Spirit, was terrified of Stein.

Maka Albarn P.O.V

I watched Miss Maya take the endangered bird and let it free. Stein looked like he was about to blow a fuse. At least, until Miss Maya gave Stein the death glare. I watched him flinch. "Why does Stein fear his own weapon?" I thought to myself. I looked at her soul. It was half red. Her soul was big too. It was like Professor Stein's. Their wavelengths were the same. "She has to be as powerful as Stein. If not, more." I thought to myself, "But why is her soul half red?" I looked over at Soul. He can't see souls like me. Neither can Tsubaki and Black Star. "Should I ask Stein? I have to. Her soul is nowhere near normal. Even for a weapon." Class ended soon after Miss Maya came in. People began flooding out the class.

"Maka, are you coming?" asked Soul.

"In a bit." I replied. Soul decided to stay with me. We waited until everyone left before approaching Professor Stein. Before we could reach him, he spoke.

"Is something wrong?" he asked. Soul and I exchanged looks. He didn't know why I decided to stay behind. He was curious about what I was going to ask. I swallowed a lump in my throat and spat it out.

"Why is Miss Maya's soul half red?" I blurted out. Soul looked at me confusedly. I look at Stein who had a pondering look on his face. He can see souls like me. Surely, he must've noticed. Right?