Slither

"What's that?" she asked me curiously.

"Some charity junk." I lied. I crumpled up the picture and the envelope and threw it away., "Shouldn't you be resting?"

"I haven't eaten in a couple of days. I'll rest after I eat." Maya said as she walked over to the kitchen. The more I watched her, the more I saw Ryuji in her. The more I could feel my guilt eat me alive. Maya made herself a sandwich and went back up to her room. I quickly pulled the photograph out of the trash and tried my best to straighten it out. It was still a little crinkly. I looked towards the stairs, making sure Maya wasn't coming back down. I stuck the photograph in my drawers. It'll serve as a reminder of the family I destroyed.

Maya hasn't come out of her room for a couple of days. She'd only come out to shower and eat. When I'd knock on her door, she'd poke her head out, refusing to let me in. I began to grow worried about her.

"Ever since she was placed under house arrest, she's been distancing herself from me," I thought to myself as I stood outside her door. I was about to turn the knob to open her door when I heard a knock at the front. I pulled my hand back and looked at her door one last time before going downstairs to see who was knocking. When I opened my door, I found Soul Eater Evans and Maka standing outside my door.

"Good Afternoon, Professor Stein," Maka said cheerfully as she held a bundle of flowers in her arms, "I brought these for Miss Maya. How is she feeling? Can we see her?" I glanced back at the staircase that led to Maya's room.

"She won't even talk to me," I thought to myself, "I doubt she'd want to see anyone else." I looked back at Maka and Soul. They were standing patiently waiting for an answer. I let out a small chuckle.

"She's resting right now," I said casually. Maka looked down a bit sadly. Soul took the flowers from Maka.

"Can you make sure she gets these please?" Soul said handing me the flowers. I nodded, taking the flowers from Soul. I watched the pair walk away. I shut the door and turned around to see Maya at the bottom of the stairs.

"Who was at the door?" She asked weakly.

"Soul Eater Evans and Maka Albarn. The came to see you," I responded, "The flowers are from them too." Her eyes widened as she approached me and took the flowers. She smiled gently and smelled them.

"It's nice to know that not all of the students don't see me as a traitor," She smiled with a hint of sadness in her eyes. I couldn't stare at them for very long. I hate to admit, the few times she did come out of her room, I had a hard time looking her in the eye. My guilt came back to me when I saw that picture. If I hadn't interfered, she'd probably live a happier life than she is now.

Maya P.O.V

I was feeling uneasy. I wasn't sure if they DWMA has seen my message in the recording of my interrogation. Medusa would come to my room as a snake to make sure I hadn't talked. I constantly had to assure her, I said nothing.

"There's something I want you to see," she said. I heard Stein's footsteps coming up the stairs. I quickly held her mouth shut. I could feel Stein lingering outside my door. I prayed he wouldn't come in. I'd have nowhere to hide Medusa. There was a knock at the front door. I heard Stein leave. I sighed in relief. I released Medusa.

"Sorry. I hoped you died during that," I shot.

"You just want to cover yourself," She shot back before sticking her snake tongue out at me. I rolled my eyes at her. "At the dance, there's something I want to show you," She said. I scoffed at her.

"I'm not going," I stated.

"Why not?" She asked curiously, almost sounding like pity.

"You're not stupid," I said, "You know I'm under house arrest."

"I doubt Lord Death will keep you here for the dance. I know for a fact, he wants you to show up," She tried saying.

"So the staff and kids can go into a rage about my release?" I replied sarcastically.

"Of course not. He would want to celebrate your safety." Medusa said.

"If you can prove to me that Lord Death would want me there, then I'll go. If not, I'm not going anywhere. What did you want to show me anyway?" I asked eyeing her suspiciously.

"I'll only show you at the dance," She said venomously, "I'll get you proof."

"Fine." I said, "Leave before you're caught." I opened my window allowing Medusa to slither to the water spout and slide down before disappearing in the grass. I heard the front door shut. I thought Stein invited someone in. Not wanting to be rude, I went downstairs to greet whoever was there.